Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best place to buy pitmaster?

you know, the one with the shop vac looking hose? 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    St Louis Charcoal Co provides excellent service. You can email Jonathan through his webpage.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Wonder how much Aaron Franklin is?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Damn, that was fast.  Stl Charcoal was on it!  It is on its way.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    You asked, ordered, and it's shipped before @RickyBobby could tell you it's FREAKIN AWESOME!!! Wow! Too cool. Happy Friday everybody!

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Its freakin awesome !!!!
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I'm an aspiring pitmaster, and I'm pretty sure I could be bought for the right price. ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • It tickles me to see folks purchasing the PitMaster! Your going to really like it. ;)
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Why would you buy it from someone other than who makes it.  Wouldn't the third party have to increase the price.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    mimauler said:

Why would you buy it from someone other than who makes it.  Wouldn't the third party have to increase the price.

St Lois charcoal prices are the same and his service is probably faster. It was with my grate.

Seattle, WA
  • busmania
    SkinnyV said:
    St Lois charcoal prices are the same and his service is probably faster. It was with my grate.
    It was actually cheaper through stl charcoal and he offered free shipping and I bought a fire grate at the same time.  id rather support those that offer support around here .  In my line of work I am a middleman so I like to support other "middle" men.  Not to mention from my original post to shipping was less than an hour.  Thats service!
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    +1 for stlcharcoal. Better price, free shipping and 2nd day delivery. We got the fire grate also. Only reason I haven't already posted pics of a cook is because of a twisted knee. Still in a brace and almost impossible to walk. Danged snow and ice. Pics soon, I hope.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    It is weird but I have found many times that the price for goods is cheaper through distributors than directly from the manufacturer.  St. Louis Charcoal (Jonathan) is a stand up guy here, as is RRP with his gaskets.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    QDude said:

It is weird but I have found many times that the price for goods is cheaper through distributors than directly from the manufacturer.  St. Louis Charcoal (Jonathan) is a stand up guy here, as is RRP with his gaskets.

Manufacturers are in the business of designing/building stuff. Distributors and resellers are very important in the whole scheme of things. I work for a manufacturer and without our distributors and reseller partners I'm not sure how things would flow smoothly.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • busmania

Got it today!  My question is this, should I start my fire and plug it in and let it dial into the temp with the pitmaster installed or get the egg stabilized and then start the pitmaster?

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    busmania said:

Got it today!  My question is this, should I start my fire and plug it in and let it dial into the temp with the pitmaster installed or get the egg stabilized and then start the pitmaster?

I start the egg lid open......let it sit for 5-10 minutes while I get things together.  Then close the lid, cap off, draft door wide open.  Set up the Pitmaster, and then close then door.  By the time you get through all this, you're probably above 150-200F, so just put the cap on and let it take it from there.  You don't want to overshoot if low and slow is the desired temp.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Either should work. I believe it takes longer to get to temp with the controller than the traditional way and then hooking the controller up.
  • busmania
    I ended up using the pitmaster to start her up. Btw, i use the chimney method to start it. I had a meeting with a life insurance guy so couldn't really monitor it. Worked great! Brisket is now on.