Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken raised direct method.

When cooking chicken raised direct don't you get alot of bad smoke from the chicken drippings on the hot coals.

I personally dont like that flavour. I never tried it raised direct because of this.
  I guess what I'm asking is do you get the bad smoke taste from doing it this way, if so do you completly remove the daisy wheel so that the smoke escapes and doesn't linger around the chicken too long?

I have a chicken brined and I am going to cook it tonight. Just thought that I would maybe try it direct but I'm skeptical of the bad smoke taste.

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    I have never had a smoke issue when doing raised direct spatchcocked chicken. Let your fire build for 10-15 minutes until the smoke is clear (instead of white). Your target temp should be between 350 and 400. You'll probably need the daisy wheel to hold steady. Let the chicken cook for about an hour and pull when the internal temperature reaches 180.

Please give the raised direct method a try. As long as the smoke has time to clear, you will be fine. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• leo123
    leo123 Posts: 101
    thanks I'll try it.
    I have done many cooks at indirect with great results, but most people here say try direct method. 

So I'm sure that most people here know more than me about bbq. I'll have to give it a try.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    In my few experiences with spatchcock chicken going raised direct, it does get the smoke as you suggest. I think it is inevitable with the drippings going to the fire. The way to solve that is cook it indirect using plate setter or some or other method. Love me some spatchcock chicken!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    I loves me some spatchcock chicken - raised direct @375 - 400. Cannot imagine doing it indirect,it's wayyyyy too good direct. Of course I add smoke chunks, and love the taste. Neighbors love the aromas coming out of the BGE. So do I.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Any time I am cooking over 350 I go without the daisy wheel.  The bad smoke you are referring to has never bothered me going raised direct.  It may have something to do with the wheel being off.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• A suggestion is to trim the chicken a bit if you go raised direct. Pull off the leg fat flaps and make sure there is not too much skin hanging down. It will drip, but not all at once, will not cause a bad flavour. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    I do this method and don't get a bad taste from the smoke.  I cook with the daisy wheel completely off and try not to life the lid any more than necessary...you might also try a little bit smaller/cooler fire, I find that if I have a roaring fire I get more flare ups and that causes the fat to burn.  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I do get the smoke roaring out of the egg but it has never bothered the taste of the meat. 400-425* raised direct for about an hr or so

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

The main difference I see between doing spatchcocks direct and indirect is the amount of charring on the underside of the bird.  As I understand it, the top (good part) essentially cooks from the heated dome and reflected heat off of the top ceramics, so it's pretty much indirect regardless.  It's shielded by the underside of the chicken which chars a bit more with the direct flame, but it doesn't make a huge difference, overall, IMO.

I generally do them at about 350-375 indirect, and it takes any where from 50-90 minutes, depending on the bird.
    NOLA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I always do indirect. Typically with a pan of vegetables underneath. I have gone direct and there is zero difference in the finished product. I just go a little hotter with the indirect set-up(400 vs 375). The skin is just as crispy and the vegetables are awesome becasue they were basted in chicken drippings. Win Win.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Spatch over veggies in a CI skillet works well for me.  I am a big raised direct fan, and although the smoke does not bother me, I understand how you may find it unpleasant. 
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    It's been purported in some BBQ books by some BBQ aficionados that the 'bad smoke' you are referring to is actually the 'good smoke' and positively enhances the flavor of the food. But what do they know if you know that you don't like that smoke flavor? Let her rip, man! And, 180's is too done (for me, anyway) for the breast, I pull spatchcock chicken off at 160 breast and the dark meat by then is 180. Mickey's your man, though, he's put many of us on the right path here starting with drying the bird's skin in the fridge overnight, adding the coffee rub, pressing the bird flat before the cook, etc.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    I always cook chicken with skin (wings, bone in breasts, spatchcock, etc) indirect with a drip pan. Chicken without skin is cooked direct. In my experience, raised VS fire ring level is not making any difference when it comes to the "bad" smoke taste. You will still get a nice smoke taste when cooking indirect.

allsid said:

Spatch over veggies in a CI skillet works well for me.  I am a big raised direct fan, and although the smoke does not bother me, I understand how you may find it unpleasant. 

@allsid Your way of cooking is a form of indirect cooking. I like it.

• I always do indirect. Typically with a pan of vegetables underneath. I have gone direct and there is zero difference in the finished product. I just go a little hotter with the indirect set-up(400 vs 375). The skin is just as crispy and the vegetables are awesome becasue they were basted in chicken drippings. Win Win.
    +1 Here. Indirect+Veggies. Only way to go IMHO. NEVER forget to brine.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating