Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Iowa Eggheads please sign in

Hi Guys,

Was just noticing in another thread that there are more Iowans and former Hawkeye State members on board.  Please announce yourselves and in what town/city you are living.  With enough of us, perhaps we can arrange a meeting or impromptu Eggfest of sorts.

Dave

Cedar Rapids, IA 

A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Does an ex-pat count? Born in Washington, IA where I lived until turning 10 and then off to MO, but spent many weeks in the summers in Muscatine and on the Cone Lake near Columbus Junction. Now across the border from you in the Land of Lincoln. BTW don't forget the 13th annual Peoria, IL Eggfest is Saturday, June 7th. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited February 2014
    @RRP The more the merrier.  It is always interesting to see the ties seem to crop up within a wide spread group.  I followed a different route having been born in St. Louis while my Dad was attending college there on the GI Bill.  We moved to Iowa when I was 3-4 back to my parents home town of Keystone. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Former Hawkeye State resident here. Trained at UI Children's Hospital from 2006-2009, lived in North Liberty about 20mins from @bettysnephew. Miss many things about Iowa, but don't miss some (like the winters!). 

I definitely miss Iowa pork and sweet corn! The pork down here is atrocious in comparison. The corn is an ugly stepchild of what you get in Iowa.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I'm from Iowa but I don't get to live there anymore. Career moved me to the Twin Cities and now reside in the hometown of my lovely bride... I'm here for my remaining days...

Originally from NE Iowa (Waukon) but I lived in Indianola(college), Des Moines, Ida Grove, Knoxville, and Sioux City before making my way to MN.

I'll always be from The Hawkeye State.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145

With enough of us, perhaps we can arrange a meeting or impromptu Eggfest of sorts.

Dave

Cedar Rapids, IA 

My brother-in-law is also an egghead and lives near Ames. He could potentially provide a terrific venue for a gathering such as this. (Yes - I'm volunteering him LOL!)  :D

I'm betting he's going to see this thread and catch my drift.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I'm from Spencer here!
    NW IOWA
  • I have lived in IA all my life...was hatched in Des Moines, now my family and I live in Pleasant Hill...a suburb just east of DSM...Good thread!

@caliking  Right on about the corn...I travel quite a bit for work, last week I was in Phoenix and ate at a steak place called Rustlers Rooste...it was a pretty good sawdust on the floor joint, and the view was cool...but the corn was a far cry from what we get used to here...but it is the off season so I gave em a bye...

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
     Mike - when we lived in Iowa, there was a farmers' market somewhere or the other that we could go to every day of the week (in season). Built 2 large vegetable boxes for SWMBO and she grew all kinds of veg. We never bought fruit or veg from Hy-Vee all summer long. I went on a work trip one time and they served fruit at breakfast. I had to spit it out because it tasted like crap. I had forgotten how terrible grocery store fruit tasted!

Oh and if anyone has one nearby, Fareway stores have great meat counters. I really miss their guys. The pimply faced teens behind the counters were more knowledgeable than most meat counter guys I've encountered. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Originally from NW Iowa. My aunt lives in Spencer. I'm originally from Inwood. I agree with Caliking...nothing compares to Iowa sweet corn and pork. Beef ain't too bad either. I now live in Northern VA.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• caliking said:

Oh and if anyone has one nearby, Fareway stores have great meat counters. I really miss their guys. The pimply faced teens behind the counters were more knowledgeable than most meat counter guys I've encountered. 
    Fareway is the best...they just opened one 2 blocks from my house...I'm there 4 times a week...
  • West Okoboji here. Formerly from Spencer.  NW Iowa is the best.
  • Philly35
    Holy crap a local egghead! I'm not the only crazy one out there!
    NW IOWA
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    Wilton I have rockwood lump if anyone is intrested
  • Roland, IA here....it's a small town about 15mins north of Ames
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    HawkeyeEgghead Posts: 88
    edited February 2014
    Cedar Rapids here.  Love the idea of a meeting of the minds and perhaps some Rockwood from meat 73.  I've pitched the idea to Deb at O'Donnell Ace but they haven't warmed up to the idea,  They do sell allot of eggs so there are more eggheads out there.
  • RRP
    Cedar Rapids here.  Love the idea of a meeting of the minds and perhaps some Rockwood from meat 73.  I've pitched the idea to Deb at O'Donnell Ace but they haven't warmed up to the idea,  They do sell allot of eggs so there are more eggheads out there.
    I hear you about them selling a lot of eggs, but here is a question for you...did they talk up this forum? Over the years I have heard so few posters say their dealer told them jack squat about the original greeneggers.com forum that has been around for YEARQ, let alone this corporate newbie forum. Some dealers just sell product and get your butt out the door! Just saying...
  • RRP
    I hear you about them selling a lot of eggs, but here is a question for you...did they talk up this forum? Over the years I have heard so few posters say their dealer told them jack squat about the original greeneggers.com forum that has been around for YEARQ, let alone this corporate newbie forum. Some dealers just sell product and get your butt out the door! Just saying...
  • RRP
    edited February 2014
    I hear you about them selling a lot of eggs, but here is a question for you...did they talk up this forum? Over the years I have heard so few posters say their dealer told them jack squat about the original forum that has been around for YEARS known as greeneggers.com let alone this corporate newbie forum. Some dealers just sell product and get your butt out the door! Just saying...
  • Philly35
    What was that I didn't quite get it? Ha jk.
    I hear ya on the dealers.
    My dealer couldn't tell ya what a daisy wheel is. They sell eggs and don't even know eggcessories exist. I asked for a new gasket after I burnt mine up and they said that wasn't covered under warranty. And then I asked for some new acorn nuts since the back broke out during installation and they said its grade 5 hardware just go buy some. She then looked up the warranty policy after a big argument and apologized. I left and went direct through corporate.
    NW IOWA
  • RRP, surprisingly they are well versed in the Egg and I've received excellent service from our local Ace. They didn't talk specifically talk up the forum but I don't hold that against them as they are a hardware store with likely over 2500 products on the shelf doing everything they can to stay open. My comment that they didn't warm to an egg event isn't to imply they don't care or wouldn't like to do more then the annual fathers day sale with the regional BGE rep. There are a small store and I'm happy as heck they sell eggs. The fact that they do know the product and provide good service is worth the extra 10 or 15% we pay for products. I have met a few guys in the egg isle on a Saturday or two and they pointed me to the next level of egging via the forum, maybe one was Dave? I have helped sell my share of Eggs spreading the good word to the folks on the fence while picking up a bag of charcoal too. I understand your point, I'm sure many dealers are just moving product but there are allot of good dealers too just trying to earn a living. We're lucky to enjoy the company of a few here on the forum.
  • I suspect I have sold a couple for CP Rd. Ace.  If someone is looking while I am there I always tell them how happy I am with mine.  I have purchased quite a few accessories there myself, but could never come to an agreement to purchase an Egg from them.  I don't hold this against them as they are a business and have the right to set their own prices and I as a consumer have the right to spend my money where I see fit.  I even gave them the offer I had from another dealer and they chose to hold on their set price.  They are nice people and I will do what business I can with them.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited February 2014
    I bought my egg and most Eggcessories at a place called t &t lawn and landscape / hawgeyes bbq... I checked the prices at 3 ace stores and the fireplace superstore...I talked to reps at all places...not one ever mentioned the forums...I stumbled across them watching videos on the assembly.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Hello Iowa egg heads. I worked in Cedar Rapids in 95-96 helping build Cedar River Paper. Just wondering if the mill is still in operation.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• It most certainly is.  All of the cardboard from our facility goes there.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    It most certainly is.  All of the cardboard from our facility goes there.
    Thanks for replying.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Grew up in IA, now live on other side of Mississippi in IL (MILAN), but still claim IA. Who the hell wants to claim living in IL right now?
  • RRP
    Prodraft said:
    Grew up in IA, now live on other side of Mississippi in IL (MILAN), but still claim IA. Who the hell wants to claim living in IL right now?
    Help jar my memory - years ago there was a very nice steakhouse there in Milan that was up on a hill as as I recall and it was a turn of the century elaborate private mansion. Even in the 70's we would travel clear from Peoria to dine there. I can't think of the name of the place. Anything like that ring a bell?
  • Prodraft
    Prodraft Posts: 22
    Think your talking about the PLANTATION, it's was in Moline. The OLD OAKES was in Milan, but it wasn't in a mansion.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Since the weather broke a bit and we have been seeing temps above negative numbers for a few days, thought I would revive this and see if anyone has come out of hibernation. The last 2" of ice on my deck finally melted yesterday.  Will fire the XL up this weekend.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa