Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Lump vs Royal Oak

The VOCs on my RO take at least 45 minutes to burn off. Now I've heard lots of talk about how the BGE lump is the same thing as RO. Do the VOCs on the BGE lump burn faster than the RO?
NW IOWA

Comments

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Nope.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Try Rockwood. Very neutral lump with virtually no VOC's. I'm sure there are other neutral brands out there also.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    All I can get around here is RO, BGE or cowboy.
    NW IOWA
  • tulocay said:
    Try Rockwood. Very neutral lump with virtually no VOC's. I'm sure there are other neutral brands out there also.
    Where do you get Rockwood. I should be able to get it on this side of town. Thanks.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

tulocay said:
    Where do you get Rockwood. I should be able to get it on this side of town. Thanks.

Ace Hardware of Lawrenceville

880 Dogwood Road
    Lawrenceville, GA 30044

• All I can get is RO, BGE, and Cowboy. I use RO obviously but have not had a problem with it.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Philly35 said:

All I can get around here is RO, BGE or cowboy.

Where are you located
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ace Hardware of Lawrenceville

880 Dogwood Road
    Lawrenceville, GA 30044

I know exactly where it is. Thats where I bought my Egg. Thanks.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Spencer Iowa
    NW IOWA
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I have not run into that long a time to burn of the VOCs with RO, personally.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208

Rockwood has won me over !!!!!

I light mine and 15 minutes later, I'm closing the lid and dialing in for my target temp.

My 1st 10 hour+ cook last night...never made an adjustment after dialing in at 260F. Never opened the lid after putting the food on.

Rockwood all the way !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Not sure if you will have better luck in Spencer, but I am just east of DSM and I can't find Rockwood either... I did use weekend warrior once but I thought it was about the same as RO....going to STL in a few weeks and will try to pick up a few bags so I can see how the other half lives...might start ordering in bulk.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Curious...how can one tell when the VOCs have burnt off?  Visual?
    Philly35 said:
    The VOCs on my RO take at least 45 minutes to burn off. Now I've heard lots of talk about how the BGE lump is the same thing as RO. Do the VOCs on the BGE lump burn faster than the RO?

XL BGE
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I get my Rockwood from firecraft.com.  If you spend $99 there is free shipping.  Which must be close to $100 to ship anyway.  They Fed Ex it to your door in a day or two.  They sell other top brands as well. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    edited February 2014
    jhl192 said:
    I get my Rockwood from firecraft.com.  If you spend $99 there is free shipping.  Which must be close to $100 to ship anyway.  They Fed Ex it to your door in a day or two.  They sell other top brands as well. 

I just did this as well.  Tried Rockwood for first time this wk-end on a approx. 5-6 hour cook.  Did great, held temp, slow burn.  Cooking @ 300 for 2 hours - 375 for 1 hour and 400-425 for 2 hours and I probably used only 30-35% of my charcoal for the cook.  Not bad at those temps. Loved the consistent size pieces as well.  Not much dust and small pieces.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• I placed my order with firecraft.com this morning. I can't wait to try Rockwood. 

All I have ever tried is the BGE lump, and I think I will like Rockwood a lot better. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    With regard to the VOC question above-"when the smoke smells good, it is good" and no further VOC issue.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.