Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Spatched Turkey.. Potential issue with bad smoke / going direct?

the BIL gave me a 13lb bird a couple of weeks back and I told him i would cook it on the egg and make dinner for them.. Tomorrow is the day.

this is the 1st turkey i have done and planned on doing Mickey's method of 400/raised/direct.  Should i not be concerned about bad smoke created by the bird dripping on the lump?  i typically cook whole chickens indirect for this reason..  might be overthinking this..

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited February 2014
    If you are cooking raised direct then no worries. If not raised I would go indirect. I didn't have any bad smoke issues when cookin raised direct. That is how I do all my chickens and turkeys.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I don't understand the raised direct reasoning. I cook my chickens and turkeys at the factory grid level and they are always great. I always cook them direct.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I always cook turkey/chicken and wings raised direct. Cook skin side up and never turn. Never had a bad smoke. Remember smoke is not your friend on this cook, I go VERY light on the wood.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    thanks..  was only going to use a few pieces of cherry and doing the rest as you described
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    If your worried about the drippings hitting the coals put a pan with potatoes and veggies under the bird to catch the drippings. You would need the means to do this
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• XLBalco
    oh yea... need advice on a new set of shears...  mine snapped while cutting out the backbone last niht... any suggestions?
  • XLBalco

ok.. first spatched turkey is now history.  it was goo but not great.  I did point the legs towards the back of the egg as I had read in one thread hoping that it would help even out the cook.

the breast wasn't dry but wasn't as juicy as I would of liked.  thighs came out good.

smaller birds might be the answer or I might try leaving it whole for the next one.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Curious what the temps were when you pulled it off the egg?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Did you brine the turkey for 24 hours before cooking? I always brine mine and I have never had a dry bird.
    Duncan, SC
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I never brine a whole turkey. When I just do breast, I do. Don't when I do legs/wings.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• XLBalco
    i pulled when the thighs had hit 180... breast at that poiunt was about 165