Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DP Bayouish Blackened Red Snapper

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum

Dizzy Pig was kind enough to send me a sample of their new rub Bayouish last week to try out.

And the note

Wasn't sure what kind of fish I was going to get when I headed to the store. Maybe catfish or trout, but then this beautiful red snapper jumped out at me. I followed @porta method from his blackened snook last week and got my Egg preheated with the CI skillet inside. For some reason, my Egg wanted to hover around 650 and didn't want to cruise up to 700. Eh...close enough for me. Brushed the red snapper with melted butter then liberally coated it with Bayouish. Poured about a tbsp of melted butter in the skillet and dropped the fish in flesh side down for 2 minutes.

Look at it smoke!! Flipped it, added some more butter and let it go another two minutes before I pulled it.

Mrs. G whipped up some dirty rice (chicken livers and all!) to go along with it.

The red snapper was pretty darn tasty and I can see us using Dizzy Pig’s Bayouish often once they officially release it. It had a nice flavor and didn’t overpower the fish at all. If anything, Mrs. G and I both wish it had a bit more spice to it. I understand when marketing to the masses, you have to please a wide range of palettes, but the heat was just lacking in our humble opinions. Nothing a little hot sauce won’t fix. Or mixing in a little cayenne to the rub. Otherwise, the flavors were pretty well balanced. If you like really spicy food, this might not be the rub for you, but if you are addicted to blackened fish, you should give it a try.

And if you are wondering, 650 will take the seasoning off the bottom of your skillet. I've got nice little "grill marks" from where it was resting on the grate. Whoops.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688

Look's awesome Griff! Will be trying this one.

^:)^

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Nicely done Griffin.  I did some chicken breasts and scallops with my sampler and my wife and I both thought it needed additional salt.  A little more kick would be nice too.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Dirty rice with chicken livers is awesome. That's how they make it at Papadeuaxs and I love the stuff. I'm hungry now.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Looks terrific! Good to hear that it's not high on salt.  When I want more kick in something,  I add a dash of Slap Ya Mama Hot (the red one). 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    I will definitely be doing this once DP releases the rub to us ordinary folks. Looks awesome... Good choice on the red snapper.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• porta
    porta Posts: 88

Looks Delicious!

68% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited March 2014
    Griffin, do you think you can accomplish the blackening effect without the CI skillet?  Going to do some blackened fish tonight, but have never done it on the egg.  I have a CI skillet, but not sure what size it is off the top of my head.

Edit: After a little more research found out the CI skillet is the best method.  Just might not go as high on temp as you did.  Prolly will stick around 500-550.  Hopefully this wont ruin my skillet too bad.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966

Edit: After a little more research found out the CI skillet is the best method.  Just might not go as high on temp as you did.  Prolly will stick around 500-550.  Hopefully this wont ruin my skillet too bad.
    Won't ruin a seasoned CI skillet.  After the cook while CI is still ripping hot take a well warm water towel and sop up the bit off the skillet.  Just be careful tree will be a lot of sputtering.  After cleaning let dry throughly and put a very light coat of oil (I like peanut).  Let the CI cool down with he egg.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Griff, fish looks Corpus good.  Will miss y'all at Salado.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Won't ruin a seasoned CI skillet.  After the cook while CI is still ripping hot take a well warm water towel and sop up the bit off the skillet.  Just be careful tree will be a lot of sputtering.  After cleaning let dry throughly and put a very light coat of oil (I like peanut).  Let the CI cool down with he egg.  
    Thanks Austin Egghead.  This is exactly what I did, and did not seem to affect the seasoning at all.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Thanks @Austin_Egghead . I was really hoping to go this yea, but sometimes life throws curveballs at you and you have to deal with them the best way you can.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings