Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - New Mexico Hatch Green Chiles

Options
Just wanted to get an idea of how many people out there have had the great pleasure of enjoying fresh green chiles from New Mexico. I am unable to find any reasonable tasting canned chiles here in Georgia (even though they say "Hatch"), so when my stockpile of frozen chiles runs out, I'm out of luck! 

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• clintmiller
    Options
    I buy 15-20 pounds of them each August when they come out. I roast them on my grills, remove the skin, freeze them, and use them throughout the year. This past weekend, I made a green chili using hatches, tomatillos, pulled pork, and a bunch of other stuff for a church party. It was a pretty big hit.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I buy a bushel every August too, a restaurant in SLC is now my source, they roast 'em for me.  
    This is a four-day weekend for me, so I made up a batch of green chile sauce and been having huevos rancheros every morning; life is good!  
    :-bd

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options
    @clintmiller do you roast them on your egg?

@botch the juevos rancheros sound amazing! I put green chile on everything except my cereal.
    Cumming, GA  

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Grew up on them in the '50's in Albuquerque.  Still luv them.  Here are a few mail order sources and my favorite recipe for green chili on BGE.

Green chili:

Current version:
    Chili, Pork, Green, #2, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS:
    5 Lbs. Pork, Butt, Boneless
    2-3 Lbs. Onions, Quartered, Sliced 1/4 inch Thick
    6 11 Ozs. Tomatillos, Tomatoes, Canned, Remove Husks & Stem, Save Liquid
    OR 12 Fresh Tomatillos quartered
    3 7 Ozs. Taco Sauce, Green, Mild OR Herdez Salsa Verde     
    1 26 Ozs Can Green Chilis, Diced
    2 Good Beer, Coors, Corona, or Dos XX, not dark or light
    2 Pints Chicken Broth
    2-3 Pints Salsa Fresca or Pico de Gallo
    1 10 Ozs Can  Ro*tel Tomatoes and Green Chiles HOT
    2-3 Whole Jalapeños, Seeds & Veins Removed, Finely Diced, You decide How Hot!
    2 Whole Green Chile Pork Tamales, just bought them and want to try--Great flavor and thickening agent
    3 Tbs. Red Pepper, Crushed
    3 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
    6 Tbs Green Chili Powder
    2-3 Tbs Fresh Garlic crushed or Garlic Powder 
    2-3 Tbs. Sugar
    2 Tbs. Cumin
    3-4 Tbs Mexican Oregano

Preparation

1. Cut the pork into 1 inch pieces, Saute in a Dutch oven to render grease and partially cook. Drain. Cook Onions in a little olive oil until start to wilt. Add pork back into pot and then the rest of the ingredients.

2. Bring to boil and then simmer. Place lid on pot and cook 1-1 1/2 hours. Remove lid toward end and reduce if too much liquid. Add beer or chicken broth if to thick.

3. Serve with fresh hot tortillas and/or rice.

4. Works well with leftover turkey or chicken also. Freezes very well!

5. This can also be done on the BGE, 9 QT Dutch Oven, Indirect, Plate Setter leg up, something to lift the DO off the plate setter 1/2 inch or so, 350F, no top on DO, light smoke couple of hours. Keep an eye on it so it does not dry out.

Yield: Filled 9 Qt Cast Iron Pot

Recipe Type: Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Meat

Tips
    Had just bought some fresh green chile pork tamales so took 2 of them and cut into small pieces and added.  Helps to thicken the pot.

Source
    Author: Richard Howe, '75
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 1980/05/25*

Author Notes
    2009/08/21--Richard Fl--Cooked 2 8 1/2 lbs pork butt 350F for 3 hours.  Used them for the Florida Mini Fest. Made 3 gallons chili and took to party and reheated in 9 qt DO.

THIS RECIPE FREEZES VERY WELL.

1/27/14-Note to self--Add 1 stick butter next batch.

• clintmiller
    Options
    I have an Egg and a Weber Jumbo Joe. I fire them both up and keep both loaded with as many peppers as they can hold.
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thank you for the info Richard! 

@clintmiller - I've heard that roasting the chiles puts off quite an aroma. Given that the egg is great at holding flavors in, have you found the green chile flavor to be too strong on other cooks after they're done roasting? I've just been warned that they might "ruin" the egg - please tell me this isn't true!
    Cumming, GA  

• clintmiller
    Options
    I haven't noticed that. I did cook them inside under the broiler a few years back, and loved the smell they filled the house with. I've kind of missed not having that smell since I've been cooking them outside.
  • fence0407
    Options
    Good to know. I know it might be a sin, but Anaheim peppers are as close as I can get to Hatch chiles for a while. Have you ever had them? I hear they don't have the same heat but if they're not bad I might give them a shot on the egg.
    Cumming, GA  

• Eggatron
    Options
    I was just hanging out with a buddy of mine yesterday who spent a few years in New Mexico and he raved about them. I want to get my \hands on some, but I'm in Kansas City and don't know of a good source.  I found this place online but the minimum order is a ten pound box. I know I can peel them and freeze them but 10 lbs is a pretty big commitment for something I haven't tried :/

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options

There just ain't no way that Hatch Green Chiles and the BGE are Off Topic!

They go together like green eggs and ham! I can't wait till August. I roast a bunch on my egg every summer!

"Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • fence0407
    Options
    @Eggatron - I've found a handful of online dealers that are selling hatch green chiles. Most of them provide 5lb bags that you might look in to. Also, "hatch chile season" is closer to the end of the summer, so you might be able to find them easier around then.

@ibanda - I wasn't sure! Where do you get your chiles from? I'll be making a trip to Albuquerque in September to visit family and will be coming home to Georgia with a batch of fresh chiles to roast!
    Cumming, GA  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    I know it might be a sin, but Anaheim peppers are as close as I can get to Hatch chiles for a while. 

Hatch is a growing locale, I don't think it's a specific species; anaheims, New Mexicos, Big Jims, Hatch are all pretty close (was hoping my chile pepper poster had their scientific names, it didn't).  I do know that, for all of them, the heat level is much more dependent on that year's growing season rather than the particular sub-species (I became a chilehead after living in Albuquerque for 5 years)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    The timing of this topic is weird. I ordered this Saturday from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VCOEMA/ It will be delivered tomorrow. Has anyone tried them canned?
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @Botch. I might try roasting some Anaheims and see how their flavor compares (still have one bag of frozen hatch chiles). Luckily my family is from Albuquerque and I have excuses to go back besides the chile! 
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    Dredger said:
    The timing of this topic is weird. I ordered this Saturday from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VCOEMA/ It will be delivered tomorrow. Has anyone tried them canned?
    I've actually tried a few different canned versions recently: Hatch, Trader Joe's, Old El Paso, and Ortega. My biggest complaint so far has been their lack of heat. The flavor isn't too bad, but I haven't had any that have decent heat. Let us know how you like the ones you ordered! 
    Cumming, GA  

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Will do fence0407. Unfortunately I had to get the mild since my father-in-law doesn't like hot, but if the flavor is good, will order hot next and divide recipes in half for mild for him and hot for everyone else.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    @fence0407 - I travel to southern Colorado every August and they are pretty easy to find at the farmers markets. Often they will have a big propane fired roaster onsite. I live in Oklahoma and they are not hard to find in the grocery stores here in August. Where I used to live in Dallas and Fort Worth the Central Market grocery stores make a big deal about it and have roasters outside their stores for about 2 weeks every August.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    SWMBO grew up in Taos NM and we had her familia ship us some to FL a few years back and we roasted them and then vacuum packed and froze them. Sadly after our last big meal of smothered burritos with green chile sauce we are out. The can stuff from "Hatch" is ok but, not even close to as good. Huge difference. We need to have family in CO.or NM send us some more.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fence0407
    Options
    Yea the canned chiles aren't that great.
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    I tried roasting Anaheim peppers yesterday. They ended up tasting OK - but not great. Had to leave the seeds in for there to be any heat. I'll just have to wait until the fall when I make it to Albuquerque.

Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    SWMBO grew up in Taos NM and we had her familia ship us some to FL a few years back and we roasted them and then vacuum packed and froze them. Sadly after our last big meal of smothered burritos with green chile sauce we are out. The can stuff from "Hatch" is ok but, not even close to as good. Huge difference. We need to have family in CO.or NM send us some more.
    You need to visit this link: http://www.newmexicochileandristra.com/Hatch-Valley-NM-Roasted-Green-Chile-p/16095-12.htm

I just ordered their "Hot" jarred Hatch Green Chiles and they are phenomenal! Customer service is great and have a look at this post for more information.
    Cumming, GA