Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prep Table and Backup Gas Grill Advice Needed

I have one of the Home Depot Expo's Glen Canyon gas grills that was made in China.  It doesn't work well and I can't get parts for it.  I am thinking about discarding the top and building up the base to make a rolling prep table. It has great storage for all of my stuff - AR, etc.  I have my LBGE in a nest and like the fact that I can roll it around easily so I am not looking for a table with the egg in it.

My wife loves the Egg but has no interest in learning how to fire it up when I travel (quite a bit).  She needs something small to do a burger, chicken breast, etc when I am not here (not even interested in a mini).  I found this on-line - We have natural gas.  What do you guys think?

I have attached a pic of my current gasser (it is messy, I know, but I keep it covered and don't use it much).  A lot of you guys are handy so if you have input about how to modify the base, I am all ears.  The only part I would be left with is just below the valves so I would have to build it up a bit and maybe finish it with a stainless top?
Milton, GA.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Brother I have never cooked on gas so I cant comment on how well it will perform but it sure does look nice.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Got a buddy that just got a KA grill and seems happy with it.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    That will make a nice rolling cart. I don't know how you replace it with a stainless steel top. Granite would be easier to make work. As for raising the top the only way I can see that happening is by using wood
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    A stainless steel shop can fab one. Be much lighter than stone.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited February 2014
    Can't comment on the fabrication of the old grill. My parents have a Larger model Kitchen Aide grill. It is a good grill, but there are some better options out there. Check out Broil King gas grills. They are cast aluminum and very heavy duty. They also carry a lifetime warranty. This was my top choice between egg and another gasser. The price is right on these grills. I was going to buy a 4 burner for around $500.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    I am really happy with my Weber Q-120 grill. It has a small footprint, CI grate, it's a Weber so you can get any replacement parts you want and it's also a nice travel grill for car-camping (I take mine out on the boat too). It's the perfect gasser to compliment my BGE. Big enough to do romaine heads and small enough to travel with.
    Gah! Apparently they just stopped making them. Replacement model is actually the Q1200: 

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-51060001-Q1200-Liquid-Propane/dp/B00FGEHG6Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392659943&sr=8-1&keywords=weber+Q1200
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I agree with @Helmet. Go with a Weber Q series gas grill. You can take it camping if you want, and your wife should find it easy to operate. Weber warranties are wonderful, and you can replace any part on any of their grills. Their customer service is about the best I have ever dealt with. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Thanks, Guys.  I have been out all week and just Amazon one clicked my dearest the following:

I really appreciate your input and you saved me some $$$.  I will figure out how to modify the old grill as a prep table and will report back - I am already storing my Egg stuff in the base.
    Milton, GA.
  • I paid a grand for a Chinese built gas grill way back when, lasted 3 years and fell apart. Upgraded to a Weber 4 burner but now that sits after I started using charcoal and kettles. Now I buy the Egg and the kettles sit. I agree, get yourself a little Weber Q for the wifey, she'll love it.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • I inherited a Weber electric a while back. It was about the easiest thing I ever used. It wasn't a portable.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Cool, I think you'll really like that Weber Q - I love mine. I even went out and got the cast iron skittle for it so we can do eggs and stuff while camping.
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Just another thought for the backup grill when you are out of town ;)

$18 at Target. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I love my Weber Genesis gasser. Fast, convenient, accurate. Great for weekday cooks. It's not an Egg, but I travel too and SWMBO won't do charcoal.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited February 2014
    If you are dead set on keeping it I would remove the grill from the table as well as the side burner and make a frame that would cap the table so to speak and then put whatever type of table top you want. I would build a skirt out of lumber tall enough to go from the top of the stainless down the face, sides and back just long enough to cover up the holes from the knobs and then attach them to a piece of plywood that rested on top of the old top which would cover up the hole left from the grill being removed and give you a good flat surface to put your new top on. Really hard to explain in words but basically a box hat to fit over the top of the stainless grill.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    GeorgeS said:
    If you are dead set on keeping it I would remove the grill from the table as well as the side burner and make a frame that would cap the table so to speak and then put whatever type of table top you want. I would build a skirt out of lumber tall enough to go from the top of the stainless down the face, sides and back just long enough to cover up the holes from the knobs and then attach them to a piece of plywood that rested on top of the old top which would cover up the hole left from the grill being removed and give you a good flat surface to put your new top on. Really hard to explain in words but basically a box hat to fit over the top of the stainless grill.
    Thanks, George. The little Weber was delivered this week and now I just have to put it together. My only problem with the current grill is the hood. I can remove it but the side brackets are still there. maybe I can cut with a hacksaw? It is stainless but not too thick. I like the idea of putting a cap over the top - don't want to spend too many $$ on this project. I guess that I will know more when I can start tearing things apart.
    Milton, GA.
  • i had a similar problem w/ my grill on the side tables having 'nubs' sticking up for how i wanted to set everything up. i had the grinder out but ended up just twisting off w/ a pair of pliers. i don't see why a hacksaw wouldn't work. our local stone place had some precut flagstone which worked well for my tops. you could possibly do something like that as well, though heavy. just seal them up.