Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone try or have one of these...

Options
Saw these on ebay. Anyone use one of these? I know the possibilities are endless for these eggs. Its always something new or invented for egging purposes.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    How much does it cost? I made something like that for my large a long time ago and never used it. Which means I don't need it :)@Canugghead made something similar for his xl and it worked well to set up direct and indirect zones.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I think the benefit of a "lump restricter" might be realized more by XL owners. If you only want a small hot fire to cook a couple of steaks, you can concentrate a full fire inside the restricter. For larges and mediums, I'm thinking the benefits to using less lump are not so significant. Still, can never have enough eggcessories. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    $20 before shipping. Interesting description as the seller mentions nothing about indirect cooking zones or potential lump savings but says the intention is to keep small bits of lump from clogging the holes of the firebox.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

I can see where it would keep a clear airstream if you light the lump around the back edge of the firebox. I am guilty of lighting mine (XL) in two places on each side of the back of the firebox.

Can't say why I do it like that.....just do.

I might have to make me one just to have.

Thanks,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    In order to concentrate my fire and conserve lump, I bought a Small.
    This would've been cheaper.  
    :|

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

You still need to heat the exact same amount of airspace, regardless of if you have low pile of charcoal, or a skinny cylinder of it.

The only time I can see that making sense is if you need to sear something small in a XL.  In that case, I would rather divide the firebox like the Big Joe or Primo does.  You can use a fire brick or two for this.  You still need to heat the entire Egg, but at least the heat is concentrated on one side.

But if are searing something small, it's not like you're going to use much charcoal in the first place.  Light it on one side and let it rip.  By the time it migrates over to the other side, you're probably done cooking anyway.

Owning a lump charcoal company, I have never cared about conserving charcoal.  I still doubt I would ever spend more money on things like this or a smaller Egg hoping to save money on charcoal.  "Robbing Peter to pay Paul."  Same goes when I hear someone finances a brand new $30K second vehicle to "save money" [on fuel]......sure you save fuel money, but you can lose an exponential amount on interest, insurance, & depreciation.  I get that it's the principal of the matter sometimes, but I just see the bottom line.