Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salt block question

Options

When using a salt block on the egg do I go indirect or direct? Maybe direct raised?

I just got a late Christmas gift and want to try some Mahi Mahi tonight.

Any and all pointers and tips are welcome.

:)>-

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Got one a few months ago......

After trying indirect, you have to do it direct or it doesn't get hot enough.  Dry the fish off and do not use any oil, sauce, marinade (it will just melt the salt).

In the end, all I like on it is scallops and bread.  The other thing that was kind of neat--I did a thick filet direct sear over the fire, then finished it indirect by slowly rolling it on its side across the salt block. 

It was fun to play with, but all I get it out for is scallops.

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

Thanks, I think I may use the Woo and get it a little higher in the egg. I'm thinking 375-400 degrees should be good for the salt block temperature?

Scallops are on my list for this thing but my next cook will be some filet mignon I picked up at Restaurant  Depot.

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    +1 @stlcharcoal says. Avoid moisture on it or your food will taste like you swallowed the Pacific, that's how my wife explained the Mahi I cooked on it a while back.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• THE DRU
    Options
    I was watching a show the other day and the founder of the Himalayn salt block said pre heat it to 500* , cover the block with oil( one with a high smoke point) and then put meat, fish etc. on to cook. He said the more you use it the less you will need to oil it and claimed that it would last a lifetime.

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited February 2014
    Options

The Mahi Mahi came out good. No seasoning and a little Rubio aged balsamic on the plate.

I know now I should have had the salt block up to about 500 degrees to get a better sear. Mine was almost 400.

I will be doing the flip method to keep it clean in the hopes it will last longer.

Next up are some filet mignon. I may even take a picture if I can remember.