Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Quality

Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally took a few minutes out of a VERY busy schedule to catch up on the forum posts. I have had my BGE for over a year and a half with little to no problem other than a broken fire box. Now it may be just luck and I am knocking on wood really hard right now but, I feel the EGG performs like a champ and has held up to my needs extremely well. I know that human error and an occasional defective part can play into heartbreaking problems from time to time but, with proper caution and care, the Egg itself is virtually indestructible. [p]Before putting on some extremely wonderful babyback ribs this afternoon, I thought it might be time to give the large a good clean out. I disassembled it completely including the 3 piece firebox that I still haven't had time to take in for replacement. To my suprise, I found that my cast iron trivet from a year ago had cracked about 2/3 of the way accross but the egg itself is still without flaw. I think this says a lot about the quality of the product. When I brought home the large, I took great pains to inspect and assemble it. I check all the bolts on a regular basis and use care in raising and closing the dome. My egg is somewhat protected from the weather by the roof that I built for it. Recently I added the small model to the family and other than having to re-seat the dome, it too has preformed like a champ with no problem whatsoever. I use my eggs on the average of 3-4 times weekly and don't remember how I got by before they became part of our hosehold.[p]My large has the locking bands that I absolutely love and feel very secure with. I don't remember if I used silicone at the time of assembly or not but, I do make sure the bands are tight at the beginning of each cook (only takes a minute). My small does not have the locking band and I sure wish it did as I am spoiled rotten to the convenience of it but, have learned to use what is a hand on the small.[p]Overall, I believe the BGE is an excellent product and outperforms any of the other many cookers that I have owned in the past. It has made me a better cook and I have learned so much from this forum about outdoor cooking and the BGE. [p]I just want to thank Ed Fisher and all the crew at BGE HQ for all their hard work and excellent service that goes into making this such a fine product. Also many thanks to all the contributors here that add so much after market support.[p]Lets all remember to read Cat's post at the top of the forum and if possible e-mail her in support of Bill Miller's rememberance. It was he that made what we enjoy here in cyberspace possible.[p]Happy Q'ing to all
Bob

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Bob,[p]You are a class act.[p]Cathy
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Bob,[p]You said it true. Thanks.[p]Spin
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Bob... if my posts indicated that I was stepping on the quality of the product - I apologize, that was not my intent. I use my BGE at least 4 (sometimes more) times each week and always get great results – just review the pictures and comments on my website. However, there are some points that should be addressed (grate, firebox, etc.) and I have forwarded my concerns to the email address listed for Ed Fisher. [p]Just a thought… I write software for the major part of my income – one thing that I have learned over the last 20 years, if a software program is any good it will grow, breath and expand – it will continually change based on the demands of the end user – if it fails, it becomes another ‘almost was’ or just a ‘wanna be’. [p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Bob,
    I agree with you about the quality of the BGE product. If I did not, I would not have been so upset about the problem I ran into this week end. I was so saddened by the accident that I just was wanting some encouraging words from the pros. I am sure it will be taken care of and I will also have many great years of egging. My hope is to caution others that maybe a couple of things should be checked. I did not mean to give the impression that I doubt the quality or service of BGE.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Iowa (DS), Knowing Bob, he was speaking in general not directly toward your post. Sometimes we get too concerned about a problem, and overlook the positives. We need to broaden our focus more. Me included.
    Thanks to Bob for a wakeup call..
    Cheers..C~W
    BTW.. I am in central Iowa.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Gfw,[p]I don't think your posts implied complaints about an inferior product. I also write software for most (all) of my income and I have to face customers on a daily basis and deal with comments about reliabilty and stability of my products. I'm big on customer satisfaction realize that the customer is always right saying rings true in all situations; if not for the happy customer, the company would no longer exist. Your postings clearly indicate that you are a big egg fan but there are certain things that you want to voice since they should be addressed. Your posts always imply, at least to me, that you have faith that they will be addressed since you stand by BGE as a company and you're comfortable that they'll come through. I totally agree on all fronts. I'm unbelievably satisfied with my Egg and if I had a complaint, I'd voice it, too. If nobody said anything, nothing would happen. It doesn't mean you're dissatisfied.[p]Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Let's get back to making some great Q and pushing the envelope of Egging! I've been an Egger for more than a year, have enjoyed an Eggfest (E2K), and plan on using the Egg as my cooker of choice forever![p]Cornfed