Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Borrowing ideas"

Options
buzd504
buzd504 Posts: 3,824
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum

Since I joined here, I have read a ton of good ideas of hardware, recipes and all kinds of other great tricks to get better results out of the egg.  Unfortunately, it's also costing a small fortune.  :)  Let's see, bag of Fogo on the way, maverick, extra grill and hardware to raise it, APL's book, and on and on.  That doesn't even count the number of things on the "I want" list.

But a lot of that paid off with last night's cook.  I love those little lamb loin chops, so I thought I would do some on the Egg for the first time.  Co-opted the APL recipes and coated with fresh mint, oregano, S&P and a little brown sugar.  Made a glaze with shallots, garlic, red pepper (and cayenne), more mint and some Apricot preserves that I had left over from making APL's BBQ sauce last weekend (not pictured) for pulled pork (damn that stuff is good).

Put the lamb on raised direct at about 400 to 100 degrees, then dropped to the fire ring at full blast, glazed and seared to 130ish.  While the lamb was raised, I used some other ideas stolen from here (thanks!) and soaked some Zucchini in balsamic and grilled some Romaine and made a salad out of it.  That worked out really well.

Thanks y'all for your help, and please stop spending my money. 

:Dimage

NOLA

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice job. Looks like a great meal! You just reminded me that I have that APL book and that I should try some of his recipes.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

That looks wonderful. Hope my lamb chops come out as well tonight. What IT did you shoot for?

Wait till you get the "I gotta have another Egg" bug...

:))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• buzd504
    Options

Griffin said:

That looks wonderful. Hope my lamb chops come out as well tonight. What IT did you shoot for?

Wait till you get the "I gotta have another Egg" bug...

:))
    I was trying to take them off at 130, so they would hit 135 - 138 after the sear.  It was hard to get a good reading with the small chops and the hot fire, so i took them off once, and they were around 120.  I used that chance to give them one more good glaze and then put them back for about 30-45 seconds a side. 

With the variance in temperature between chops, I pretty much hit it right on.  The meat by the bone was a perfect rare.
    NOLA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    That's the cheap stuff! Wait until you "need" more eggs!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Looks Really Good
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bravo! Looks great. Spending other people's money is what we do best here! :)

Speaking of which, do you have a good meat therm? Thermapen is not absolutely necessary, but a reliable one from Thermoworks is HIGHLY recommended.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • buzd504
    edited February 2014
    Options
    caliking said:
     Speaking of which, do you have a good meat therm? Thermapen is not absolutely necessary, but a reliable one from Thermoworks is HIGHLY recommended.

Yes, I got a purple one in the interim between joining the forum and getting my Egg.  Now I'm thinking I need an infrared temperature gun.
    NOLA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looks great! Nicely done and thanks for sharing the cook and photos :)
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    The food looks great.  But look at it this way.  Did you enjoy cooking it?  How much money would that meal cost you in a resturant?

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014