Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Grouper using Dizzy Pig's New Bayou-ish Blackening Seasoning

I just finished blackening a nice piece of Grouper using Dizzy Pig's new Bayou-ish blackening seasoning.

The catfish we did yesterday was good but was an inexpensive test. This one was expensive, coming in at just over $18. So it had to be good.

We weren't disappointed. Here's the photos.

It was a good dinner, for sure.

Thanks Dizzy Pig.

Spring "Done With Blackening For A Few Days" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Oh my my! Looks very gooooood! I just was telling SWMBO we need to eat more fish off the Egg and cut back a little bit on our red meats. I'm going to try this for sure!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • porta
    porta Posts: 88
    Looks delicious! Well done sir. Blackened fish is by far in my top 3 favorite. I do Redfish atleast once a week. My secret, brush generously w/ melted unsalted butter before seasoning.
    68% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Sorry I'm a newb! What is the cooking surface? Is that a cast iron griddle? Fish looks awesome!!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Good looking dinner. Bought the sampler pack of the dizzy pig rubs. Haven't found one I didn't like. This bayou rub is new, right?
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Man that look's good! Why didn't we get a call? We could of been there in about 7 minutes. :D

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Salado cook? In between raising your kilt.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Thanks guys.  This was a fun cook.

For those who are curious about it, I cooked this one on my Mini Egg using a Mini Woo, the grid and a cast iron griddle that fits the Mini Woo perfectly.  Lodge makes them.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-cast-iron/serving-griddles/round-handleless-griddle-L7OGH3

I'm sure you've seen them before.  They are frequently used together with a wooden serving plate as shown in the photo to serve hot sizzling foods like fajitas and pan-fried steak.  I think I paid like $4 for mine years ago in Academy.  I haven't seen them there lately but if you live near a Lodge Outlet store, they have plenty of them.

It's not necessary but it sure is nice to have a surface temperature thermometer and a Thermopen.  Both of these will quickly pay for themselves.

Rick... The door is always open, except when we're off at Eggfests.  The next one is March 15th in Salado.  Yes, I'll be there and wearing my kilt.  You coming?

Spring "Eggfest Season Is Open" Chicken

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nice @Spring_Chicken. Fish looks great. I just found some Bayou-ish in my mailbox yesterday. How hot were you running your MIni? And do you have any butter on the skillet or do you dunk you fish in butter before applying the rub and then cooking? I'm going to rty it out tomroow for sure.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    edited February 2014

Hi Jason.  As you can see in the photos, I had the cast iron pan at 798.9° by the time I was ready with the fish.  I suppose I could have done it differently but I put a chunk of butter in the pan and waited about 2 seconds for it to melt, then laid in the fish with the seasoned side down.  Then I seasoned the top side.

I flipped it at 45 seconds.  Then 45 seconds later I flipped again.  This time I Thermopen'ed it and found the outer edges to be about 130° to 140° but the thick inside was only about 75°.  So I shut both vents and let it bake for abut 3 minutes, checking it twice with the Thermopen.  I wanted 140° internal, which would be done enough for us while still leaving some moisture in the center.

Of course, the outer edges continued to cook and got up to an average of 160-175° range. 

Actually, the outer edges had a more intense flavor than the inside which was rather mild by comparison.  But it was all delicious.

Neither the Thermopen or the Infrared Thermometer are necessary for this cook but they sure take the guesswork out of anything related to temperature.  I highly recommend having and using both.  Without the Thermometer I would have had to return to cook the fish more if I had visually decided it was done enough.

As I posted above, the cast iron pan is available through Lodge and the Mini Woo is available through Ceramic Grill Store.  But I think you already have both if memory serves me.

Try it soon.  You'll like it.

Spring "Gotta Have The Right Stuff" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• By the way, Jason.  Here's the YouTube video of when Frank From Houma cooked some Redfish in the Coop. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCrj0Mqu66M

Spring "Good Learning Experience" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I don't have an infared thermometer unless I "borrow" one from work. So no idea on what kind of dome temp you were running? I'll probably do mine on the large instead of the mini as I'm sure I'll be doing more than one fillet. Cool video. Looks like that pan was screaming hot!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Am I the only one laughing at the "Chicken-fish"?
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • Finally... Someone noticed it...

Thank you.

Spring "Hey...This Doesn't Taste Like The Chicken In The Picture" Chicken

• Helmet
    Haha yeah, literally the first picture I laughed, then read and looked through and thought..... 'Is it just me??'
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Helmet said:
    Am I the only one laughing at the "Chicken-fish"?

Nope!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Good eye.  Maybe a few more will see it after the Valentine's Day festivities wear off.

Just trying to create a smile or two.

Spring "Clicking and Grinning" Chicken

• Helmet
    I dig your style! ;)
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Yum - I am going to have to try - Will be good for my diet!
    Milton, GA.