Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket coaching session please

Good morning everyone!  As I see a ton of snow in Maryland I am gaining the courage to try a brisket.  I have read a lot on what to look for in purchasing and cooking.  I see that a whole packer is more forgiving.  I am more curious on the actual carving.  I understand that you cut across the grain.  How do you remove the point?  I then understand that you cut that into chunks and put back on the egg with sauce for burnt ends. 
Would someone be kind enough to take pictures of the actual steps on the next cooks carving?  I realize that this is a pain in the butt and I do appreciate it.

I suppose that I could just as easily go check on YouTube for a video.  I just thought of that...

Thanks everyone!  I really enjoy this forum.
Chester, MD

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I watch franklins videos. He's the man! This is the first in his series on YouTube http://youtu.be/VmTzdMHu5KU
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• grege345
    Where you at. It doesn't say in your sig?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Opinion here (and we all know what those are worth...) but the point is the best eats of the brisket.  I don't do burnt ends for that reason.  The Franklin videos will solve your brisket process questions.  Enjoy the cook!

BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    You don't have to do burnt ends, you can slice. I'd monitor the flat until it is done, then bring it in and take the point off. It should be fairly easy, the back end of a knife (no tthe sharp side) will usually be able to seperate it at the fat line between the two muscles. Then you can either put the point back on for awhile if needed, or chop it up for burnt ends and put it back on.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    @DIAD - IMO, you should forget what you saw in that video you posted and pay attention to the Franklin video.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    @DIAD That video you posted is the worst f*&^ing video i've seen in my life!  If I handed that guy my brisket to carve and he did that to it, I would punch him in his DAMN face!!!!!!!!

Work so hard to get great bark and this joker just scrapes it off!  OMG...it makes me mad that he did that and actually documented that to teach a bunch of harmless souls to murder a cooked brisket.  I've also never seen someone put the seperated point back on the flat and carve them together.

This guy definitely was not from Texas!!!!!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Make sure to add that to the Pet Peeve thread. I know the separation is at an angle. @griffin, ,You really use the back edge of the knife? Will have to try that next weekend.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'm no expert, but a good tip given to me was to get the floppiest packer you can find. You want less of the hard fat.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    YES!!!!! Success or failure starts at the meat market!! You want something malleable and floppy. I want to pick up the packer by the point and see the flat bend down like a diving board.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    GQuiz said:

Make sure to add that to the Pet Peeve thread. I know the separation is at an angle. @griffin, ,You really use the back edge of the knife? Will have to try that next weekend.

Done right I've seperated it by sliding my gloved hand between them.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    cazzy said:
    @DIAD That video you posted is the worst f*&^ing video i've seen in my life!  If I handed that guy my brisket to carve and he did that to it, I would punch him in his DAMN face!!!!!!!!

Work so hard to get great bark and this joker just scrapes it off!  OMG...it makes me mad that he did that and actually documented that to teach a bunch of harmless souls to murder a cooked brisket.  I've also never seen someone put the seperated point back on the flat and carve them together.

Just to clarify @Cazzy...you approve or disapprove of this method of slicing??

:P

It seems to me if there is this much fat on the brisky post cook, he didn't do a very good job trimming pre-cook.   Franklin video does a good job of showing how to trim, but it also takes a little practice.  My first packer I was worried about cutting off too much fat, and I left too much on.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap said:

Opinion here (and we all know what those are worth...) but the point is the best eats of the brisket.  I don't do burnt ends for that reason.  The Franklin videos will solve your brisket process questions.  Enjoy the cook!

BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey!

+1 regarding the point. That is where the best flavor is. I am starting now to have my butcher make chili meat for me and I smoke only the point. Watch the Franklin videos to see how to slice the point. Smoking only the point provides less time cooking and much more favorable meat, in my opinion.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • cazzy
    edited February 2014
    cazzy said:

Just to clarify @Cazzy...you approve or disapprove of this method of slicing??

:P

It seems to me if there is this much fat on the brisky post cook, he didn't do a very good job trimming pre-cook.   Franklin video does a good job of showing how to trim, but it also takes a little practice.  My first packer I was worried about cutting off too much fat, and I left too much on.  

lol.  Exactly!!!  This was the comment I left on YouTube:

Worst video i've seen in my life!  You have no clue what you're doing and I almost cried when you scraped the bark off.  If you have too much fat on top, then you need to do a better trimming the fat cap.  

PLEASE....IGNORE EVERYTHING HE'S DOING IN THE VIDEO!  There are related videos on your sidebar that will lead you down the right path.

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Now I have to watch this video...
    Dunedin, FL
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Thanks everyone!  I have watched the Franklin video twice now.  I'm gonna find his video's for post cook or slicing next. 

Has anyone gotten a brisket from Sysco?  I have a friend who owns restaurants but they use Sysco for their products.  Not sure about quality and cost.  He's getting me a price and details.  Once I have them I'll post for feedback.

I really appreciate all of the help on here.  This is truly one of the best forums on the internet in my opinion.

BTW...Grege345....I am on kent Island.  The land of pleasant living.
    Chester, MD
  • cazzy said:

You act like he boiled it or something.  Sheesh. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    DIAD said:

Thanks everyone!  I have watched the Franklin video twice now.  I'm gonna find his video's for post cook or slicing next. 

Has anyone gotten a brisket from Sysco?  I have a friend who owns restaurants but they use Sysco for their products.  Not sure about quality and cost.  He's getting me a price and details.  Once I have them I'll post for feedback.

I really appreciate all of the help on here.  This is truly one of the best forums on the internet in my opinion.

BTW...Grege345....I am on kent Island.  The land of pleasant living.

You're a little South of the land of pleasant living. As long as you can get natty boh, we can let it slide ;)
  • DIAD
    What are your thoughts on these?  Does this even make sense?
     BEEF BRISKET CKD SMKD
    WHL
    2 / 8#AVG CAB 0 $6.40

BEEF BRISKET DCKL-OFF CH
    6 / 10-12# CAB 0 $2.63

BEEF BRISKET FLAT 1/4" SEL
    ^
    8 / 5#AVG BCH BLK 0 $4.33

BEEF BRISKET WHL CKD 2 / 8# AVG BROOKWD 0 $5.38
    Chester, MD
  • cazzy
    Yeah.  Those are bulk.  I read the first one was as two 8# CAB briskets for $6.40#.  The 2nd listing is six 10-12# CAB briskets for 2.63#.  Unless he's going in on it with you...pass.  The first one might come cooked and smoked for you so you might save time.  lmfao
  • DIAD
    Yeah, I might just go to Sams so I can see what I am buying. The brisket is challenging even before you own it!
    Chester, MD
  • grege345
    Your psyching yourself out bro