Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What's your Gas and Electric Bill

2»

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited February 2014
    I am 550 a month all year long with talk about it going up. Biggest scam there is. The government is suppose to be looking into hydro
  • The ombudsman is investigating the whole smart meter thing. If we elect liberals again I'm moving to Georgia.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Natural Gas here. Bill runs about $70 per month. That is spread out over 12 months. We don't use any gas over the summer.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Gas between <$10 and ~$160/month
    Electricity between <$20 and $140/month
    and the two are reciprocal, so my total billing is pretty even.
    Because I live alone I doubt the Egg has made much of a difference.  I cook a brisket and eat leftovers for a week, and am then so tired of barbeque I eat other stuff for the next week (lettuce, ramen, etc).  
    If your door is open enough to change your heating bill, you should be able to financially justify a Maverick to your SWMBO!  
    :D

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

The ombudsman is investigating the whole smart meter thing. If we elect liberals again I'm moving to Georgia.

If you elect Rob Ford again(well, not you exactly), I'm moving to Toronto. Epic Lulz!

• I don't get to vote in that one but I like his politik!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

I don't get to vote in that one but I like his politik!

"Cutting taxes and cutting lines" is quite the platform to run on.

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Gas and Electric combined...$37 Summer, $47 Winter. In and out of the house doesn't matter, often times it is warmer outside than inside. My mother grew up on a farm (100 years ago) in Nebraska, she taught me how to deal with the cold.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited February 2014
    Live in Rochester NY and we have real winters up here.  2800 sq ft in a 24 YO house.  Gas forced air heat plus gas dryer and water heater plus central A/C.  We keep the temp at 68 in the winter, 73 in the summer.  2013 total G&E bill was $2300, in 2012 it was $2600 (I know because I have a home office and track for the deduction).

I will say they build the houses well up here.  Code calls for 2X6 studs in exterior walls, foundation is insulated to within 12" of the floor, and a zillion R's of blown in insulation in the attic space.

@Gatabites, I don't think your in and out to cook on the egg has much to do with your bill.  I assume you close the door after you enter or exit:-)
    :-*
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • My bill has doubled for gas this year but I would think it has more to do with gas prices then my going in and out egging.  Last year I would have the garage door open constantly while I was cooking this year I have a Egg on the deck so I would think with the much higher volume of the cold coming in through the garage as opposed to opening and closing a sliding deck door for 10-15 seconds at a time would be a win for me. 

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2014
    Seattle here filled up my oil tank in late September $950 275 gallons.
    Good news is we have almost half a tank left, this is a record for us. Hoping to make it all winter on one fill up, usually its 1.5 fill ups at least.
    Night temp kept @ 65 degrees. This has helped this year, kids are older registers in their rooms.
    Electric $75 month
    I don't think I'll complain anymore.

Not bad I guess in downtown neighborhood 1954 2800 sq ft
    Seattle, WA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2014
    And don't just look at the money, I know it is important, but check the usage, if it is way up, there is the answer. No question going in and out in cold weather will have an impact - maybe 10% if the door is open more than normal. 
    In cold climes with an electric stove/oven, the power used to cook dinner will also contribute to heating your house. An electric oven often does not often require a ventilation fan so the heat stays in the house, a gas cook top and or gas oven, (although great to cook on) may require automatic ventilation - depends on local codes.  
    I think it has just been the cold weather you've had this year. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

@Gatabites I would suggest looking in your attic.  If you don't have R-50 or better up there it is the easiest, most cost effective way to improve your home energy efficiency.  The best place to improve insulation is basement walls, but if you aren't planning a reno then you might not be able to go that route.

Having the home energy audit is a good investment.  When our house was done we had airflow equivalent to a bathroom window being open constantly.  After new windows, doors, lots of spray foam later we are almost airtight - and that is in a 1970's backsplit..

We still haven't done the fireplace because of the huge cost investment and such a long payback time.

Our home is 1800 sq ft backsplit, with 800 sq ft of basement and gas is $103 per month, hydro ranges from $95-$165 in summer.  High efficiency modulating furnace, tankless water heater, stove top on gas.  A/C, oven and lights on electric.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE