Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

After cook question

First of all thanks to everyone on this forum for all the great advice as it has really helped my cooking out a ton. All the info on here really gives me confidence to try to cook things I normally never would have. With that being said I have a family member getting married in a couple of weeks and since everyone has been bragging about the food around my house nowadays they have asked me to take care of the meats. It is a really small wedding so not too worried about biting off more than I can chew. Now the question I have is they are wanting a couple of butts and a couple of chickens so I am going to stick to what I have had success with lately two 7lb ish turbo butts and two spatchcock chickens. Ok so when I FTC the butts to keep them warm then I am going to cook the chickens can I FTC them also to keep them warm. I have about a 30 minute drive and then how ever long the ceremony takes and I am worried about the chicken still being as good as it is coming off the egg.
Lexington TN

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Shred the chicken and put it in a foil container. IMO. FTC will last hours with the but
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    The problem with FTC and chicken is it will kill your skin. I love the idea of shredded chicken though. Easy to serve too
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited February 2014
    I wouldn't overlook doing some sausage too. Hard to screw up and can definitely round out your plate. 2 sides, a lil bit of pulled meat and a sliced 1/2 link (assuming they are like kiolbasa type links) for every guest.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • @cazzy if the FTC would ruin the skin could I put them in a aluminum pan then put them in the oven to keep them warm once I arrive love the look of a whole chicken the last one I did was a 7 lb bird and everybody was impressed
    Lexington TN
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    That would probably work, although they may dry out a tad.  Should be OK.

I would do more than two, though.
    NOLA
  • use mickeys rub on the chickens raised direct! you wont be disappointed. +1 for shredding chicken and sealing tight to retain moisture 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    I haven't done it (yet) but based on what some others have posted here I'd consider a skinless spatchcock bird. That way you can present the whole chicken and you don't have skin issues. Or do it your regular way and just do the best you can with the skin.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX