Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Choosing a Knife

dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208

I've read a million posts here on knife selection. Like everything....lots of info/ lots of opinions.  My question is how to choose a knife that will "feel right". I have an old butcher knife with worn blade and wooden handle....that is my favorite right now. I also have Pampered chef "junk" that I hate the feel of. Is there a place to "test drive" a knife to see if I like it ????

I am looking for a knife to slice cooked meat ( brisket/PTL, etc) after it is cooked.

As always, thanks in advance,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You've opened Pandora's knife box.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    There are lots of opinions on this topic. I think two things matter most, balance and feel. 
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You can see how the knives feel at Williams-Sonoma, or other chains, I'm sure. Or better yet, a larger selection at a decent chef's supply store if you have one nearby. I was considering a Shun Ken Onion chef knife a while back. Went to W-S and it took me about 10 seconds to realize it felt awful in my hand!! For me anyway. Looks cool though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• porta
    porta Posts: 88
    William Sonoma to try em' and Amazon to buy em'. After purchasing you will be affiliated with either the East Side or the West Side.
    68% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited February 2014

Whatever you're comfortable with is most important.

A little bit non-standard, but I use the Masahiro stainless series (http://www.knifemerchant.com/products.asp?productLine=42).  The slicers are really nice.  I really like the Japanese steel.
    NOLA
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    +1 go to Williams Sonoma and feel them all. They even offer you a cutting board and a lemon to cut if you like. I bought the Henckel 4 stars about 11 years ago and they haven't failed me yet.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I choke up on a knife when I use it so handle doesn't matter much. I usually stick with WA handles though as once you get used to them they are very similar and many good knives to choose from with WA handles. Shuns are nice but there are better options out there at cheaper prices even. As I state on every knife thread you need to learn to sharpen your knives or the best knife will be worthless in a couple months.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    porta said:

William Sonoma to try em' and Amazon to buy em'. After purchasing you will be affiliated with either the East Side or the West Side.

Agree on Williams Sonoma, disagree on on Amazon. W-S has a satisfaction guarantee that Amazon cannot compete with. It's worth the few extra dollars you spend to know you can get your money back once you use it.
  • You can see how the knives feel at Williams-Sonoma, or other chains, I'm sure. Or better yet, a larger selection at a decent chef's supply store if you have one nearby. I was considering a Shun Ken Onion chef knife a while back. Went to W-S and it took me about 10 seconds to realize it felt awful in my hand!! For me anyway. Looks cool though.
    Agree on the chef's supply. I nearly bought a couple of shuns based on everyone's opinions. Ended up hating the feel of them and bought Macs

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    OP, if you have a local knife shop, check them out. I have one that beats chefknivestogo.com usually.

Otherwise, chefknivestogo.com is the best place to buy a knife online. Mark Richmond knows his stuff and provides fantastic customer service. I have one knife(Sakai gyuto) from him and one from my local place. They beat him by 25 bucks on my Kikuichi utility knife.
  • dldawes1

I knew you all would come through !!!!!

@ HENAPPLE....I knew I was opening the Pandora's knife box !!!!!!!!!!  I could tell from the many posts I searched through before asking. But I couldn't figure out where else to turn.

I will proceed to find a W-S to visit.

Thanks forum, you're the greatest !!!!!

Donnie

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    for me the fit of the knife is more important on knives that get used the majority of the time like on a chef knife, my slicer doesnt get used too much and that fit isnt as important as the blade. i have three knives i use for slicing, all have uniform straight handles, one is oval shaped, one is D shaped, one is an old wood handle with flat sides, all work fine for a slicer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • To many to pick from. I said screw it and bought a couple of Shun's. Yes they are sharp like all knives the final out come is the same,,,,,they cut. I picked the shuns because I thought the blades looked cool :)
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Try them. Buy what feels good. Spend once. LEARN TO MAINTAIN.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Addendum: A good knife is your most important cooking tool. It's the most important thing in your kitchen. Be sure you're satisfied; nothing ruins food and fingers like a sub par knife.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Maybe just keep the old butcher knife. Take it to a competent sharpener to restore the edge if is not super beat up. Oil the handle. Pitch the Pampered Chef, or use it for sharpening practice.

However, butcher knives are generally not the best for slicing cooked meats. I know a number of people who use them as their primary knife, but it seems to me that is because they are the most substantial blade they have, and it can take a lot of abuse.

When I became interested in getting better knives, I found that I had become used to blades without much "belly." German style knives with a big curve to the edge just felt clumsy to me. Also, I had only ever had plain wood handles, or standard "Western" style handles. Handles with lots of curves, or that were not in line w. the blade spine were unpleasant to use.

I'll suggest that you dabble a bit by buying some decent but not too expensive knives of various styles. Once you find shapes that work for you, then consider dropping more money on knives w. better steel and more finely finished handles.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    edited February 2014
    Why is my post not showing up?

EDIT - My post got lost to the "Approval Limbo" deity...

I orginially mentioned that I choose Shun blades for their quality and lifetime sharpening and guarantee.  I broke the tip off a knife and sent it in - they fixed it so we couldn't tell it had been damaged at all.

The restaurant where I work - all the kitchen guys use Shun knives.  They hold up in even harsh commercial conditions and are sharper than German ground blades.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Eggcelsior
    Why is my post not showing up?

Uh, I see it.
  • Why is my post not showing up?

Uh, I see it.
    Yeah.  My first post was a few hours ago...  Sorry for the confusion there.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Quote:  William Sonoma to try em' and Amazon to buy em'.

You know, if enough people do this it won't take long before you can't try out anything anymore, because no local brick-n-mortar stores will exist.  And this goes for knives, TVs, books, musical instruments, etc.  I know its tempting to save a couple bucks by ordering from some robotized delivery system out-of-state, but that's a world I don't really want to live it (and I admit, I'm guilty of it myself; already there's no place locally where I can browse through, say, a jazz CD section).  
    If you try out some knives at a Williams-Sonoma, and like them, buy them there; please?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• dldawes1

Any comments on this one......I haven't "put my hands on it yet, but plan to see it this weekend at WS.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/shun-haru-hollow-ground-santoku-knife/?pkey=ccutlery-warehouse-sale&cm_src=cutlery-warehouse-sale||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    edited February 2014
    dldawes1 said:

Any comments on this one......I haven't "put my hands on it yet, but plan to see it this weekend at WS.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/shun-haru-hollow-ground-santoku-knife/?pkey=ccutlery-warehouse-sale&cm_src=cutlery-warehouse-sale||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

i thought you were looking for a slicing knife, this is a slicer, the round edge is for slicing then serving the cooked product like brisket or a roast etc

this site isnt letting my links come thru, a slicer is a long straight knife with a round dull tip

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dldawes1

@ FISHLESSMAN....I'm still learning........

Thanks,

Donnie