Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st cold smoke

So I finally got around to cold smoking. I appreciate all the tips from the egghead forum. I have 6 one pound blocks. I plan on doing 2, 3, and 4 hours of smoke with. The first 2 blocks are off and restin before they get ziploced and refrigerated. I can't wait to try it in 4 weeks. My samples so far are pretty good however I can imagine how good its going to be once its aged and mellowed.

Comments

• I meant to mention that I used my a-maze-n smoker. I packed the pellets tight, light it with a butane torch for 1 minute. Then let it flame for 10. So fa no issues. It's around 15* in Vermont. My TW8060 says the grate temp is slowly climbing mid 70's. so I unplugged the 60 watt bulb that was in the bottom.
  • Oh oh! I didn't use the light bulb. Smoking bacon but I put 3 Kg of cheese on.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I also did my first cheese smoke this weekend using the amazen smoker. 2 lbs of x-sharp cheddar, 1 lbs of Swiss, pepper pack, Havarti, and Gouda. I put the cheese too close to the smoker and it started to melt thru the grate. I was surprised that the cold smoker put off enough heat to do that. Took it off after 2.5 hours and vacuum packed it. The cheddar was oily when it came off. I licked my finger and it really did taste like an ash try.  We'll see next month.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I've been using my platsetter with my amazen smoker lately. Works well to block the IR from the pellets. As little heat as it puts off, there is still some direct IR radiating up you don't think about.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • I also did my first cheese smoke this weekend using the amazen smoker. 2 lbs of x-sharp cheddar, 1 lbs of Swiss, pepper pack, Havarti, and Gouda. I put the cheese too close to the smoker and it started to melt thru the grate. I was surprised that the cold smoker put off enough heat to do that. Took it off after 2.5 hours and vacuum packed it. The cheddar was oily when it came off. I licked my finger and it really did taste like an ash try.  We'll see next month.
    Next time let it sit on the kitchen counter for a few hours then seal it up. Mark the date 4 weeks from now:)
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    I have smoked a lot of cheese using my a-maze-n smoker and by far the best cheese I have smoked is a block of goat cheese. It was incredibly good.
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • I was pleased with how it came out. Also, the difficulty level. There is nothing too it.