Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Teriyaki Cod on Himalayan salt block

Options
My sis-in-law got me a salt block last summer.  I finally broke it out last night.  Heated up the salt block for approx 30 minutes.  (Threw a couple of stuffed clams on while I waited).  Two cod filets marinated in teriyaki put on salt block direct at approx 450.  Couldn't really tell the difference in taste with the salt block but thought it was pretty slick.  Cod is pretty bland, perfect for fish and chips or tacos, but as a standalone, not overly flavorful.  What else should I try on the salt block?  Shrimp?  Scallops?  other type of fish?
South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Nice. I've been intrigued but haven't taken the plunge yet.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I think the idea of the salt block is to ad a salty flavour to the cook. You already used a salty marinade so it may have hidden the effect of the block. Just guessing here.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Scallops and shrimp are outstanding. Just a little oil is all you need. The salt seems to keep them from from drying out and adds a nice flavor.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I did a marinade for Mahi one night and used the salt block and it came out a little salty, the next time I used no marinade and just some Dizzy Pig and it came out incredible. 
     My non expert theory is that the moisture of the marinade activates the salt block a lot more and releases the salt into the food. Just a thought.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.