Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Smoked Hickory Nuts"

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was waiting for someone to post "smoked" recipe vs "grilled" recipe to the post below about M.O. I moved it up here so it wouldn't get lost, hope that is OK. I had wanted to try something different with "fries", frying and grilling got old. I asked everyone for a bbq recipe for fries and lost a few close friends in the process. It seems they thought I had gone crazy. This isn't your typical meat cut for, excuse me, "low & slow". This is what I came up while sitting around scratching my, well, you know. Hope ya'll try them someday.[p]
SMOKED HICKORY NUTS[p]1 lb calf fries (skinned and cut into 1/4 inch strips)
1 cup beef marinade
favorite rub
dark brown sugar[p]Take and skin the fries and cut them into 1/4 inch strips. Wash them in cold water and marinate them in your favorite beef marinade. I like them spicy hot, so I marinate them in a marinade made of 1/4 cup Tabasco, 3/4 worchestshire sauce. Or, you can add hot sauce to your marinade. Let them marinate for several hours. Remove from marinade and roll them in your rub. I use 1/3 salt, 1/3 pepper, and 1/3 powdered garlic. Remove from rub and roll them in the dark brown sugar (optional). Have pit hot and ready at 250 degrees using hickory wood and/or charcoal, the hickory wood can be added when the meat goes on the pit if you are using charcoal. Because of the size of the meat, a small spaced grill is needed. If not available, place on foil. Cook for about 45 minutes at 250 degrees and serve.[p]Glenn[p]

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    One question - what are calf fries?

• BluesnBBQ,[p]Please see posts below re; Mountain Oysters. You may be sorry you asked.[p]Regards,
    Jobu[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Jobu,
    How hungry was the person who first figured out that they were edible?
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk,[p]Probably about as hungry as the first person who picked up a lobster and said "Hey guys, want to see me eat this thing?"[p]Later,
    Jobu

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Jobu,
    And then they decided to cook it.
    R&J

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Jobu,[p]Now I know why there were no "nuts" listed in the ingredients! :)
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Since no one has come right out and told you, I'll do the "dirty work"! "Fries", as in; calf fries, pig fries, sheep fries refers to the delicacies of "animal nuts"! In like manner, Oysters as in "Rocky Mt. Oysters" refers to the same thing! I'm not trying to be crude or make light of your question. Please don't take it that way! Most people would just rather refer to them as "fries" or "Mt. oysters".[p]Dr. Chicken

• BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    May I,[p]I hope nobody minds..but this joke is so appropriate here...[p]French Farmhand[p]There was once a sheep farmer who had a French farmhand working with him
    to help castrate his sheep. As the farmer castrated the first sheep, the
    French farmhand took the parts and was about to throw them into the
    trash.
    "No!" yelled the farmer, "Don't throw those away! My wife fries them up,
    and we eat them, they're delicious! They're called Sheep Fries!"
    The farmhand saved the parts and took them to the farmer's wife who
    cooked them up for supper. This went on for three days....and each
    evening they had Sheep Fries for supper.
    On the fourth night the farmer came in to the house for supper. He asked
    his wife where the farmhand was, and she replied, "It's the strangest
    thing! When he came in and asked what was for supper, I told him French
    Fries, and he ran like hell!"

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Glenn:[p]Thanks for rounding out my "Land Oyster" recipe collection. Say hello to JD for me . . .[p]

• djm5x9,you are welcome. If you cook some, let me know what you think.
    JD & friends