Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I broke my third coleman cooler, so.....

I bought a YETI,  45 quart, ICE Blue, this should stand up to the oil field use.  Now off to buy a lock so It doesn't walk away.
Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Cool! I see the hasp for the padlock, but will you be chaining it to something as well?

Reminds me of the home safes sold advertising how strong they are etc, but never mention a 12 year old kid can walk away with it padlock and all!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    You'll love it. If I pre-cool mine with a sacrificial bag of ice and throw already chilled beer in it, it will hold ice for 7 days and keep beer below 40 degrees for another two days with water.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • RRP said:
    Cool! I see the hasp for the padlock, but will you be chaining it to something as well?

Reminds me of the home safes sold advertising how strong they are etc, but never mention a 12 year old kid can walk away with it padlock and all!
    Yes to the bed of the truck, I changed the tie down bracket this morning so I can secure it to the truck. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Sweet! Yeti sells a cable lock as an accessory. Made by Master I think.

They also sell a ss bottle opener which looks like it screws right into the body of the cooler. Want to get one for my Pelican 45, but I'm a bit skittish about screwing something into it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mayberry said:
    You'll love it. If I pre-cool mine with a sacrificial bag of ice and throw already chilled beer in it, it will hold ice for 7 days and keep beer below 40 degrees for another two days with water.

I have notice the great ice retention, this will be great for water, as a single empty beer can on a drill site will get you canned, I will only be using it for water, and my lunch, most of the time, but, when I do my semi-annual trips to Mexico, I am certain it will have plenty of cervesa time.. 

As for the lock, I went to the hardware store and bought the cable lock for considerably less, than the Yeti, one, same master lock. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Yeah, I figured it would be far cheaper without the Yeti brand. Saw the BGE branded grid lifter for $37 at the dealer. Same thing was $15 on Amazon!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Texansurf said:
    Mayberry said:

I have notice the great ice retention, this will be great for water, as a single empty beer can on a drill site will get you canned, I will only be using it for water, and my lunch, most of the time, but, when I do my semi-annual trips to Mexico, I am certain it will have plenty of cervesa time.. 

As for the lock, I went to the hardware store and bought the cable lock for considerably less, than the Yeti, one, same master lock. 

Dopey me. I was going to ask why a single beer would get you hammered on a drill site. Then I got it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• It will handle a lot of abuse.  I have 2.  When I show them off to people, I jump up and down on it.  I was almost 300 pounds this summer, so that's pretty abusive.  I have friends that are farmers that keep theirs in the back of their trucks full time.  5 and 6 years with no damage to them.  I also have a friend that flipped his truck with his in the back.  Truck was totaled, but the Yeti just had a few scratches on it.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • My 65 quart YETI is the 2nd best item I've ever bought for myself, next to my Large BGE.  
  • I am amazed no one has commented on the custom stickers... 
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Yeti. Nice. Really would like one of those. The Mrs. Doesn't understand why I'm searching the web for coolers when it's 9 degrees out. Maybe she has a point. I think I'll pick up an A.R. First....
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • Hey Tackman.  They will keep things warm too.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • I've got the Yeti Roadie. Thought it would be easy to take anywhere. However, fully loaded with ice and drinks it's like 20lbs. I find myself using my Coleman more! Unfortunately.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR