Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Original BBQ Guru

Options
I'm trying to find an original BBQ Guru, it was a spring operated brass gizmo that fit snuggly in the dome vent (no DMFT).  It would open/close it's vent opening based on temp.  I'm sure it's not nearly as accurate as new models, but dang it seems cool.

Any ideas?  Google can't find it, so it must not exist.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I don't think the sell them any longer, but here is a post from @fishlessman with a similar model:

<edit> 
    I just noticed you already commented in that discussion.  I think the "tiptoptemp" gizmo does the same thing.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I was thinking about this very device earlier today.  Will have to see what the updated model is about.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i have the only one ive ever seen posted here :D its my go too for overnighters at camp. tiptoptemp makes a cheap knockoff and i use that one on my kub cooker. the origional guru had pins that swapped out for different pit temps. the tiptoptemp has a dial for adjusting temps but not sure it fits the large. ive googled the old gurus and have only seen one writup on it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You'd better get a Pitmaster...IT ROCKS! =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    henapple

"Now there you go again"

LOL
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Thanks guys, I just want to be like a pit controller hipster. :)
  • sumoconnell
    Options
    @fishlessman, are there any markings or something that could help me Google? It seems to be made by the pitmaster people.
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    edited February 2014
    Options
    henapple said:
    You'd better get a Pitmaster...IT ROCKS! =))

FREAKIN ROCKS !!!!! .... get it right man
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • fishlessman
    edited February 2014
    Options
    its at camp but i did take pics of it

pretty sure it reads pitminder

fukahwee maine

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I saw a new device out but lost the link.  Same concept for $30.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    smokeyj said:
    i have that one on my kub, not sure they have one that fits an egg

fukahwee maine

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

Thanks, that was the one. I thought about getting one for my Weber kettle, just for the price seemed like it would be worth it.

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    smokeyj said:
    i have that one on my kub, not sure they have one that fits an egg

That is pretty sweet looking on the cub.  Looks like it was made for it!  

It makes you think- it seems BGE and other smoker/grill manufacturers could consider coming out with these as standard equipment. Cost would be low and they could make one that replaces the daisy wheel (or works with the daisy). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    edited February 2014
    Options
    @fishlessman- just curious exactly how this works.  I see there are just numbers on the dial (not temp reading, just looks like single digits).  Do you need some other type of temp probe to determine what the target temp is, then adjust the dial until your temp appears stable?   Or...do they give you a chart or something to tell you what the numbers mean? 

• bettysnephew
    Options
    Those "pins" look suspiciously like thermostats for auto engine coolant which come in different temperature values.  Out of curiosity what temperatures are marked on the pins?
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @fishlessman- just curious exactly how this works.  I see there are just numbers on the dial (not temp reading, just looks like single digits).  Do you need some other type of temp probe to determine what the target temp is, then adjust the dial until your temp appears stable?   Or...do they give you a chart or something to tell you what the numbers mean? 
    3 seems to hold 220 dome on this cooker, would be different on other cookers i would think, same as a simple low and slow, catch temps on the way up with the daisy, only this gadget will help catch falling dome temps later in the cook
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Those "pins" look suspiciously like thermostats for auto engine coolant which come in different temperature values.  Out of curiosity what temperatures are marked on the pins?
    im betting the first one was a car thermostat, the pins i have i think are 190, 205, and 220, you can make further adjustments turning the knob, my 220 pin holds a low and slow between about 235 and 250 dome
    fukahwee maine

• sumoconnell
    Options
    Thanks for the posts and some cool insight.  This project may have turned a corner.. I smell a DIY project in the making. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Thanks for the posts and some cool insight.  This project may have turned a corner.. I smell a DIY project in the making. 
    should be do able.the car therm is normally closed and opens with heat, this one is normally open and closes with heat, so he must have mounted the spring differently
    fukahwee maine

• sumoconnell
    Options
    From what I read, some thermos for older cars have higher temp ratings too. Modern thermos look at max around 190f.

Some are bypass, some opposite.