Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help onTurkey Cook off please...

Options
BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So there I was, enjoying happy hour at the local bar, you know how it can go, and it ends up in a $20 bet on Turkey. Guess I talk about the BGE too much. These guys are hard core Kingsford fueled Webber kettle cooks. Anyway, I am looking for input from more experienced eggers on how to make a kick a$$ BGE Turkey sure to appeal to a broad range of tastes. [p]I am familiar with Max’s and Dr. BBQ’s recipes and have read additional posts in the archive. Since it’s my first “competition”, I wanted to ping everyone’s current thinking about turkeys. I have time to do multiple tests before the big day. [p]Thanks for any input,[p]BP

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    babyboombbq, I've won some turkey cook-offs. Look for a post from me tomorrow morning. JCA
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Great, thanks in advance!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    babyboombbq,
    how about a turdunken? . ..that'l knock their socks off. ...

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    babyboombbq,[p]Double down the bet, and go with the mad max method.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    try my recipe:
    Honey Glazed Turkey Breast ( or Ham)
    Description: This mix will give the TASTE of the famous "HONEY BAKED HAM" and can be used on Turkey, Chicken or Pork
    Ingredients: • 1 Cup granulated sugar
    • ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
    • ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
    • ¼ tsp ground cloves
    • 1/8 tsp paprika
    • 1 Dash ground ginger
    • 1 Dash ground allspice

Instructions: season a deboned turkey breast with Lowery's Season salt- then injected with chicken broth (¼ cup each breast)
    Smoke indirectly @ 225F with soaked Maple wood chips.
    Pull from BGE @ 165F internal temp (about 2 hrs)

Notes: After resting 30min, slice accross the grain & coated the top/sides with above mix.
    using the mapgas torch, set to a light blue flame (not forcefull as if lighting lump), carefully glaze the mix onto the turkey breast
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    Turdukins are great and I have never done one on the egg. Would you suggest cooking it just like Turduckin directions say too in an oven except cooked on the egg. Any recommendations on where to order one. I am surprised I have not seen them on here any more Capt. Dan

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Capt. Dan,
    i've never actually done one. ..but i know don huevos and some others did them last year around thanksgiving and xmas. .. if you put out a separate turdunken request posting here, i'm sure those that have done them will weigh in for you. .. .HTH

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Capt. Dan:[p]Click on the link below for the one I did last year.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

[ul][li]Turducken [/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    babyboombbq,[p]I have a 18# in the freezer that won't be cooked on thanksgiving. I think i'll try to brine to get some additional flavor and maybe an injection also.[p]If you are going to get into a contest you better expirement to WOW them with just a few bites. I doubt that a traditional bird even on a BGE will do that.[p]i've got almost 30 pages worth of brines, injections, and tips just on turkey that i've accumulated over the last couple years. But, i have yet to try any of them. I always get a little nervous about trying them for the big day.[p]Scott

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    eggor,[p]Yes, I agree that I need to wow with a few bites. That's one reason I'm thinking about brines, injections and compound butter under the skin. I think I'll do one this weekend to start the experimeting.[p]I'll post whatever I do with pics..

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Wow, thanks! I will be doing both ham and turkey on the T-day. I will have to try this...
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]That did cross my mind, but the other guys said it had to be Turkey. [p]Great recipe you have there by the way. I will be giving it a try really soon.
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks Mad Max. I was going to egg a gobbler for turkey day but with some help I would like to try a turdukin.

• SSN686,
    Thanks, I saved your directions and also made another post. Capt. Dan

• J Appledog
    Options
    babyboombbq,

[ul][li]Brine recipe[/ul]
  • J Appledog
    Options
    babyboombbq, [p]Last year I brined a Butterball for the local contest (which I won). One bite was sensational. But by the third one it was clearly too salty. Is this a whole bird or just one bite contest?[p]Mad Max makes killer turkey but you don't need to worry about gravy here so I'll make a few different suggestions.[p]First, brine the bird and keep it refrigerated. Write down the weight before you throw the wrapper away. (I figure on about 13 minutes per pound as a rough guideline). The brine recipe below is awesome. Over the years I've modified it but it's a great brine as is. After a couple of days, rinse the turkey twice, pat dry and air dry it in the refrigerator overnight, uncovered.[p]When you're ready to cook, get your fire ready. 375°, indirect with a drip pan. I add chunks of sugar maple and a fruit wood, usually apple.[p]Generously season the cavity with whatever rub you are going to use. Then stuff it with an onion cut in half, an orange with some holes poked in it, maybe some apple pieces, sage and thyme. My favorite rub for turkey is Santa Fe Seasons Holy Trinity Rub but I just picked up some new McCormick turkey rub (that I ground a bit finer and added some fresh, ground chipotle) for Sunday's upcoming turkey cook.[p]Truss the bird, or fold the wings back behind and tie the legs together. I cut off the pope's nose. If you've got one of those turkey lifters, place the bird on it now. Oil the bird. I brush on butter and oil in a 50/50 ratio. Then shake on the rub.[p]Put the bird on the grill. After about 20 minutes reduce heat to ± 340°.
    When the bird gets to about 155° in the breast I brush on a glaze made with canned cranberry sauce. The pectin makes for a nice shine. Put the cranberry sauce in a pan. I mix in brown sugar, orange or lemon zest and either dark rum or port. Heat it up and brush it on. Remove bird when it's 161° in the breast. Wrap in foil, then in a towel and put it in a cooler.[p]Bone appétit! JCA

[ul][li]Brine recipe[/ul]
  • jaymer
    jaymer Posts: 49
    Options
    i just did this brine last night... my 12# was excellent, but i can't say i noticed anything from the brine. this was my first turkey ever, besides a free range i did in the oven last year (came out yucky).

i didn't have any ginger or thyme for the brine and it only soaked for 14 hrs. also, we only had low-calorie pancake syrup, so i don't think that qualifies for true 'maple syrup' :)

i used Mad Max's recipe for the back end... with the inside stuffed with herbs, its hard to tell what flavors are coming from the cavity herbs or the brine, but i'm looking forward to doing another one with all the proper ingredients.

in any event, it (and the gravy) was the best i'd ever had!!!

cheers
    jaymer...
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]A thousand thank yous for your very detailed reply.[p]"Is this a whole bird or just one bite contest?"
    Since it's basically a bar bet contest, that is not clear to me. So, my plan is to treat it like a whole bird contest. We'll bring in the whole bird, carve, serve and get judged. I'm going to try and find a fresh 12 pounder in the next few days and give it a try. I may even try the brine out on a big chicken if I can't locate a turkey this early. Everywhere I went yesterday said they were taking orders, but delivery would be a couple of weeks away..[p]I'll post the results of my experiments and the contest with pics.[p]Thank you again,[p]BP

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    babyboombbq,
    i dont see this recipe posted much, but i like it. bacon juices under the skin keep everything moist and if its a bar bet, smoked buzzard even sounds good. it needs to be cooked in the mid 300's though. 250 is way too low for the egg for turkey. one thing to do with your practice turkey is to save some of your broth. heat it up and drizzle some over the breastmeat on the comp day to insure moisture. nobody likes a dry bird no matter how it tastes. if your making gravey, note that red wine will make purple gravey, use a white wine for a more traditional look. still i like the purple gravey.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Thanks! I'll keep your advise in mind!