Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt question

Options
Erichschwinn
Erichschwinn Posts: 5
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
Hi, looking for some advice on first turbo butt - 10lb bone in butt - always go 225 for many many hours. I read a lot about this, but am wondering if anyone can give a time estimate for a 10 pounder at 350? Or would I be better cutting it in half and doing 2 five pounders? Thank you! Oh, also, rub tonight for cook tomorrow or just rub before it goes on? Thanks again.

Comments

• Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options
    I was always consistent with 4 hours on about a 7 lber. Maybe 5 to 6 hours for a 10 lber? I did what a lot of people here do and wrapped in foil when it got to 160 internal. I believe some may cook it 350 all the way through the cook without wrapping in foil. Not sure the time difference when you don't foil. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If you go 350 straight thru you can count on about 45 mins lb. YMMV

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I don't know that cutting it in half changes the cook time much.  You are contending with the same thickness.  5 hours should do it, but as has been said, every cut is different.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Certainly not an expert - but I would think a 5LB piece of meat would cook faster than a 10 pound piece.   Adding extra chunk of meat ( 2nd ) may increase cook time a bit, but not double.

Even though - I would rather cook faster ( even with foil) than cut a butt in two.   If don't cut across the bone, you are changing the structure of the two pieces of meat I would think.

Cookin in Texas
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited February 2014
    Options
    2 pieces will more times than not shorten your cook time and has the added benefit of more bark. But as @cookinbob said each piece of meat has a mind of its own.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Erichschwinn
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the info - much appreciated! Ill post some pics and update when done.