Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp drops after restricting air

Options
Cooking steaks for first time and wanted to hit 600. I saw my temp at 590 and quickly put the cap on and slid the vent to around an inch. I expected the temp to rise and it did to 650. Then it dropped to 450. Now I'm at 490 and solely slowly climbing. I'm glad I didn't over shoot the target but isn't this odd? Still new to this so trying to learn.
XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You may have a problem hitting 600* with the daisy on. I don't but some do. You are going to be open two inches minimum on the lower vent.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I never (never) use the daisy wheel at all.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I haven't used the DFMT in a couple of years. Except for lo n slow cooks. Not even sure I need it for those, but I haven't tried it. Easier to fiddle with just one vent.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Mickey said:

I haven't used the DFMT in a couple of years. Except for lo n slow cooks. Not even sure I need it for those, but I haven't tried it. Easier to fiddle with just one vent.
    Things get confusing when you reach a certain age.
    =))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    Well this is new information. I have only had my XL for 2 weeks but I assumed you needed the daisy wheel for small adjustments. It would be great if I only had to mess with one vent. 
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    As long as your gasket is in pretty good condition you can maintain really decent control of the temperature anywhere above 275* probably lower using just the lower vent.  Just have to be patient with adjusting the lower vent and pay attention after you make adjustments. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I don't use the dfmt either. KISS. Keep it simple stupid.
  • AR_Pork_Producer
    Options

Mickey said:

I have used this method on other charcoal grills. I always figured what can't go in the bottom can't go out the top. Didn't know if it would work on the BGE. I'll have to try it now.
    Large BGE, Holland Gas Grill, Masterbuilt electric smoker, Oklahoma Joe, Flame Boss
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I don't use the daisy above 300 degrees but a fellow egger friend of mine swears that by using it, chicken stays even more moist.  I'm in the process of experimenting to see if I can tell the difference.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

Sometimes when you are heating up the egg you will get flames shooting up which cause a spike on the thermometer. When you put the cap make on those flame died down and you got a more accurate reading.

Like the others I use my daisy wheel less and less, mostly when I am in the 400 degree or higher range.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    pretzelb said:
    Well this is new information. I have only had my XL for 2 weeks but I assumed you needed the daisy wheel for small adjustments. It would be great if I only had to mess with one vent. 

Bingo
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    pretzelb said:

Going topless doesn't make you any less a man.

Both ways work well and the daisy wheel can help make minor adjustments. Do what ever works for you.

• bettysnephew
    Options
    Most of the time my lower door does the trick, but when the Iowa prairie winds begin gusting temperature control requires I use the DFMT to not allow the winds to supply too much air through the top vent.  I believe that when the wind comes from the right direction around the edge of the house it acts like a flute being played and clears out the oxygen depleted air in the dome and allows the fire to rise in temperature.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa