Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh Masters of the Egg - I need swift help!

AndyR
AndyR Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my new large BBE (yes BBE for Big Blue Egg). More on that later. I can't grill on my small so I've never done steak on the Egg. Simple question. Grill with top open or closed? Thank you Thank you Thank you. Did I mention I've got 500F and holding on my deck. Old clay to new ceramics has got me pumped![p]AndyR

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    AndyR,[p]Grill closed. You might want to get the temp up higher - say 700 - before you start grilling.[p]How thick are the steaks? VERY important: if you're planning to sear each side and then close top & bottom vents to let it "dwell" briefly, be sure to crack the vents slowly before opening the dome to remove your steaks. Otherwise you could get a fireball & lose your eyebrows.[p]Cathy

• AndyR
    Cat,[p]Thanks Cat. 1 1/4" Ribeye's. Does the rule of touch to doneness apply or will the internal temp come up while dwelling?[p]AndyR[p]

• Cat
    AndyR,[p]Internal will definitely come up while dwelling.[p]If you like steaks rare, consider searing 4 minutes per side and no dwell time - you'll get some carryover cooking anyway if you let them sit outside the Egg for a few minutes before slicing.[p]Ribeyes are my favorite - enjoy them.[p]Cathy
  • Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    AndyR,[p]Grill with dome closed. 2, turn; 2, close all vents; and 2 is perfect for me. 600*-700*[p]Fritz
  • AndyR
    Thanks Cat and Fritz,[p]The steaks came of perfectly. What an added dimension to the flavor. Instead of letting them dwell on the BBE, I let them sit on a cutting board loosely wrapped in foil for about 5 minutes. Used the Jack Daniels chips - wonderful. Just to smell the bag made me want to soak 'em in Coke and ice; throw the chips on the fire and do a shot with the leftovers. [p]Your responses only stengthen my trust in this forum that there is always someone ready to help a fellow Egger. [p]Thanks again.

• Cat
    AndyR,[p]Glad to hear your steaks were a hit![p]Cathy

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    AndyR,[p]Success is fun, and filling, isn't it? :-)[p]Fritz
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Andy:[p]So I go out of town for a week and you go and get my BBE? Andy, Andy, Andy . . .

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    AndyR,
    Hmmmmmm Large Blue EGG? Is it a BGE product or one of those "Other Guys"?

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    MAC,
    BGE did make some in Cobalt blue.

• AndyR
    MAC,[p]Yes Gents. It's blue. Cobalt Blue. I think the folks who molded it are color blind because it says Big Green Egg right on the front. I imagine guest will be cutting off the alcohol early when the read Big Green Egg and see Big Blue Egg.

AndyR[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    JJ,
    Are they like a limited edition collecters egg?? Or did they run out of green paint??[p]Man....what I would pay for a blue green egg. Just think how it would look wih your colorful collection.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Nature Boy, get your wallet out. I was in the Atlanta store last Monday and saw my very first blue egg. It seems they ran a batch for some of their Florida dealers who also sell pool equipment. The only problem is that they are not producing very many of them and no guarantees that they can match the color in the next batch. Bottom line, replacement parts may be off-color.

• MAC
    AndyR,
    I WANT ONE ! ! ! HOW DO I GET IT?

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MAC, I'm waiting for a Char-Truce Mini-:-)

• AndyR
    MAC,[p]I'm fortunate enough to live within 30 min. of the Atlanta HQ. I visited last Friday to price out what I would want as a package. I noticed they had this Blue Egg in a table for display. When I asked for the pricing they took off $50, why I don't know. Saturday rolled around and I couldn't stop thinking about the big bald headed beauty. Went in to purchase and there sat the table... with no blue egg. As the room started to spin I asked a sales woman where it had gone. Sold... but I think we have another in the back. So luckily they had two more, one with minor chips around the throat and the other with a chunk out of the top. I bought the prior. I'll post a picture as soon as I can.
  • MAC
    Char-Woody,
    So now add poetry to your loooooong list of talents. I love it.