Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a sliding hot rack...

Thanks to many for the table advice so far.  The one missing piece right now is finding a sliding metal rack that can handle a hot plate setter or grid, but get back out of the way.  The best I have seen is pictured here, but I can't seem to find anything similar for sale anywhere.  Anyone have an idea on where I could find something like this?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    How handy are you and do you or a buddy do any welding? Seems to me a simple angle iron frame would be plenty strong to hold cross pieces of light duty straight rod tacked in place with a spot weld. Sliding feature could be done with some friction reducing guides or more fancy using heavy duty exterior roller bearing drawer hardware.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Another solution if you have a scrap dealer nearby is go looking for an old single bed spring frame - or even the support straps commonly found in outdoor furniture for supporting cushion seats. With an open mind and a little time I bet you could come up with a nice working solution!
  • RRP said:
    How handy are you?
    You are clearly much more skilled than I am.  I can figure out the woodworking part of the table but metal fabrication or welding is way beyond my abilities!
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    I think you want to look at sliding racks that go in standard cabinets to hold extra pots and stuff. My in laws have some in their kitchen cabinets made of metal that could hold hot stuff. I think they bought them at Lowes.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It really wouldn't be that hard to do. I'd come drink all your beer and help. ..what about a rack on wheels?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Misleading title! :)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • RRP
    yo, maxPowers...today driving home I passed a beater pick up truck with a rear window protector grid. It could EASILY be retrofitted to your need and It was not home made.  So there is another avenue for you to go shopping! 
  • @sumoconnell - touche!

@RRP & @stantrb - some good ideas, I will need to do some more investigating, thanks for the point in the right direction...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    A welder probably wouldn't break the bank on rigging angle iron into a piece that connects to the bottom with a l channel to hold a rack. Maybe 2 oven racks?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    edited January 2014
    Max - here's another thought in principle since you said you can handle the wood working parts...how about building that shelf out of wood with a solid plywood bottom and then protect the bottom with a skin of aluminum flashing. Here is my "hot box" I built to carry my pizza stone, hot plate setters and grates home after class so I won't damage my interior. The flashing disapates the heat remarkably fast.
      imageimage