Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some help with indirect Fish on the AR

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to make a recipe for trout that gets coated with breadcrumbs and is grilled using indirect high heat (450-550 degrees). I have an AR and lots of accessories for it, but am a total newbie. The setup I was thinking of using was oval pizza stone at level 1.5, round s/s drip pan at levels 3 and oval grid at level 4.5 for the indirect fish. It should be noted: the fish won't extend beyond the slightly smaller drip pan so no worries of drips getting on stone.

The other possibility is using the Rig Extender and d-grid to get the fish higher into the dome. I haven't cooked fish high indirect on any grill and certainly not with the AR & Egg. I don't have time for a test run sadly, I need to get it right first time out.

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I would be afraid the bread crumbs would burn before the fish cooked on that high of heat. Dizzy pig cooks breaded wings on his web site and explains how he does it. His information might help you out a little.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I really wish I could help you out, Jim, but I've only cooked a breaded fish once and that was a hundred years ago on an outdoor fireplace/kettle type grill. Used charcoal briquettes pushed to one side and have no idea of time or temp. Your setup sounds good but the heat might be a little high? Maybe 400? I know you'll be able to figure something out.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    If they are small trout then the breading won't burn. If they still have skin on one side that will give you a good base. If the coating/dressing starts to get brown you can drizzle a little melted butter on or spray with Pam. Check out Frogmats for future fish cooks.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jfm0830
    Thanks for commenting. The recipe is from a Weber cookbook and I generally have good luck with their recipes as written. I just checked it and they called for large trout fillets (6 to 8 ounces) skin on. And it called for indirect high (450 to 550°). I was planning on doing it at the lower end of that range.

I was more concerned with the AR set up. I have just used mine a few times and have lots to learn. For example, should the oval pizza stone be at the 1.5 level or should I put it higher and closer to the fish. Should I put the fish at the 4.5 level or put it up in the in the dome on the rig extender level? With certain foods there is a benefit to cooking them high up in the dome, Is this true for fish?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Fresh or saltwater trout?
    NOLA
  • jfm0830
    I never noticed, but the recipe never called out one of the other. I know just enough about fish to be dangerous.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Jim, I think the original setup you mentioned would work fine. I have the same setup and admittedly have never cooked breaded fish on the egg, but think you would be fine. I think any of the setups would be fine frankly, as long as the stone is in the mix for indirect heat. My only concern would be the breadcrumbs burning the higher it gets in the dome, so maybe dont use the rig extender. Let us know how it works out.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Little Steven
    jfm0830 said:
    Thanks for commenting. The recipe is from a Weber cookbook and I generally have good luck with their recipes as written. I just checked it and they called for large trout fillets (6 to 8 ounces) skin on. And it called for indirect high (450 to 550°). I was planning on doing it at the lower end of that range.

I was more concerned with the AR set up. I have just used mine a few times and have lots to learn. For example, should the oval pizza stone be at the 1.5 level or should I put it higher and closer to the fish. Should I put the fish at the 4.5 level or put it up in the in the dome on the rig extender level? With certain foods there is a benefit to cooking them high up in the dome, Is this true for fish?
    I usually do fish on the standard grate but haven't done any breaded except in a CI. I sense that you are looking for good browning on the breadcrumbs while still baking the fish. That is why I asked the size of the fillets. You can get some pretty big trout fillets, comparable to salmon. At the size you are talking about, assuming it's a whole fillet, it will be pretty thin and cook quickly. I think getting it higher in the dome and oiling it if necessary will work well. If it starts to get too dark you can cover with a piece of parchment or tin foil to stop it quickly. This is still based on the assumption it's a whole side fillet.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited January 2014
    CI did a breaded fish cook and if I remember correctly they only breaded one side of the fish fillet.  I can't remember if they cooked it on the gasser, the Weber or the oven.  
    I would think if you place the fish on on foil and then the  ceramic stone a high temp cook should be ok.  If it is a thin fillet the fish should cook before the crumbs burn.  I would put the fish above the felt line.

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Little Steven
    buzd504 said:

African or European?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• buzd504 said:

African or European?

:-j