Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella Pan???

What kind should I be looking for? I am guessing Carbon Steel but thought I would get your opinions before I purchase. I will generally be just cooking for 2 of us and was thinking a 14" for my large unless you guys tell me to go smaller. New territory here so thank you for any input.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2014

This is the best one I have found for the large. The upturned handles allow 15 1/2"

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven

I'll try again but if it doesn't work google Typhoon 15 1/2" paella pan.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    That's a good looking pan. What are you posting from. ..DOS?

:-B
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Hahaha. Firefox and IE. Can't post pics or edit posts

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Thanks LS!! Is this the one? It says it is non-stick. image

analyze adapt overcome

• Little Steven
    There is a carbon steel one the same. I have both. Prefer the steel for the soccarat

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mattman3969
    Thank you

analyze adapt overcome

• henapple
    LS. ..does it have the dimples?
  • Little Steven
    No

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I have a 14" Carbon Steel one, diameter to edge of handles is 18", so probably too big for a large if you want to close the lid.  Have never used anything but carbon steel, I would avoid something non stick personally.  FWIW, I can feed 6 hungry people out of the 14".  I also have an 18" which fits on my XL, I can feed 10 easily from that
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Here's a great primer link about paellas-scroll thru to the end and there is a discussion and link about the paella pans:
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    I keep forgetting about all the info over on the whiz site. Thanks for the reminder @lousubcap

analyze adapt overcome

• henapple
    LS. ..how do you get the soccrat?
  • Little Steven
    It happens the same as in a regular pan. Mine is outside in my egg cabinet which I can't get open cause of snow but I'll let you know if it has any dimpling. I don't think it does but it has been a while since I made a paella. I'll let you know around mid-June

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I bought a Copco enameled pan back in the early '80's and have been very happy with it.  Unfortunately the company disappeared and  now the pan runs around $100 ebay has them.
    LS has a great looking one. just be sure that the overall diameter with the handles fits your BGE.

Copco pan.

24" on an exlrg, handles fit outside the dome, but worked.
  • http://www.tienda.com/paella/paella_pans.html There are some decently priced ones here but of course I know nothing of paella :)
    Southern Indiana
  • henapple
    I guess I've never heard that popping sound everyone talks about
  • Little Steven
    Neither has your wife =))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    @henapple-sounds a bit different than the sound when you pull the tab on a PBR but not too far afield-just gotta tune the ears! :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple

Neither has your wife =))

Damn. ..
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I want one of those HUGE paella pans......like 3ft in diameter.  You build a horseshoe shaped riser out of pavers or cinder blocks, then light a fire underneath it.  Pretty cool.
  • Little Steven
    Well Smitty, you get me a huge discount on an XXL and I'll give you a huge pan ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Mine are carbon steel with dimples. Cheap and effective, and in the egg they double as FANTASTIC griddles. Seriously. No ky seems to consider that, but my 18 inch pan makes pancakes and eggs like a champ.

To get a socorrat, lower the heat as the liquid disappears into the rice and wait. You'll hear the rice on top bottom go from bubbling to a Rice Krispie kind of hum. You only get it if you Let the rice completely absorb the liquid.

Stan
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • Cookinbob
    I want one of those HUGE paella pans......like 3ft in diameter.  You build a horseshoe shaped riser out of pavers or cinder blocks, then light a fire underneath it.  Pretty cool.
    ou know you can rent the really big pans!  If I make my Paella with shrimp, mussels, chorizo, and chicken, filling the 14" pan costs $40 or more in ingredients, and it feeds 6 .  Doing the prep takes a couple of hours.  

If I remember how to calculate area of a circle and volume, I predict a 3' pan would cost north of $250 to fill, and it would feed 40.  You would need around 10 gallons of stock. The cook won't have much time for fun, might want to just hire a caterer, but you would have something to brag about!.  If you do it, Pics are a must
    Rochester, NY
  • Little Steven
    Wabbit!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I recommend that you get the largest pan you can fit on your Egg so you can have some leftover paella. For the amount of time and effort, it's good to have extra.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Cookinbob
    18" is the biggest I can fit on my XL . Cut the handles off or bend them up if you can, you could go bigger. I don't think anyone makes a 19" pan. Could go bigger if you left the lid open
    Rochester, NY
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Cookinbob said:
    ou know you can rent the really big pans!  If I make my Paella with shrimp, mussels, chorizo, and chicken, filling the 14" pan costs $40 or more in ingredients, and it feeds 6 .  Doing the prep takes a couple of hours.  

If I remember how to calculate area of a circle and volume, I predict a 3' pan would cost north of $250 to fill, and it would feed 40.  You would need around 10 gallons of stock. The cook won't have much time for fun, might want to just hire a caterer, but you would have something to brag about!.  If you do it, Pics are a must

Cool......Go big or go home, right?

Anytime I fire up my Rebel, I always fill all 23 cubic feet.  I'll end up with 20-30#'s of pulled pork, then fill plastic to-go boxes, and people will stop by the house or I'll deliver it.  My mom does the same with chocolate chip cookies.

• Cookinbob said:

Cool......Go big or go home, right?

Anytime I fire up my Rebel, I always fill all 23 cubic feet.  I'll end up with 20-30#'s of pulled pork, then fill plastic to-go boxes, and people will stop by the house or I'll deliver it.  My mom does the same with chocolate chip cookies.

What time can I expect you in Evansville? May as well bring a pallet of ROCKWOOD while you are at it.
    Southern Indiana
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188

@Mattman3969 I found my carbon steel pan at TJMax  It has the dimples.  Not sure they are in stock year round, but you might ask as they may have them in the store room.

Two years ago I bought a frozen paella mix at Sam's Club which had a nice seafood mix and chorizo in the package.  It was quite good, but I haven't seen it since.

I

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa