Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aluminum foil on Plate Setter Melted?

Was just cleaning/prepping my Large BGE for my next cook. Noticed after my last cook (indirect spatchcock chicken @400 grill temp) that the foil that I had wrapped around the PS was melted(?) at the edges on the fire side. It looks a bit disintegrated:

I didn't think I was anywhere near the melting point of aluminum foil? Also the fire side of the plate setter looks clean and not charred at all.
This is normal aluminum foil (not heavy duty). I could not catch all the fat off the chicken with the rectangular BGE drip pan and that was causing some flare up. Could that do it? Thanks

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2014
    One big way not to ever worry about that. Do like I do: Cook Direct Raised..... photo photo-137.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    aluminum foil melts little over 1200 F.

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited January 2014
    I have experienced that at times using regular light weight kichen foil, but never with heavy duty foil. A big 24" roll with 1,000 feet from SAMS is what I use and am still on the same roll I got 11 years ago! It may sound expensive, but not for what you get!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    +1 @RRP. ..but I go through a bunch.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited January 2014
    Asked my sister for tin foil this Christmas. She asked if I was serious. Can never have enough tin foil. Love practical gifts! Received Four big HD Reynolds boxes this Christmas. Awesome!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    WeberWho? said:
    Asked my sister for tin foil this Christmas. She asked if I was serious. Can never have enough tin foil. Love practical gifts! Received Four big HD Reynolds boxes this Christmas. Awesome!
    great idea!
    canuckland
  • RRP said:
    I have experienced that at times using regular light weight kichen foil, but never with heavy duty foil. A big 24" roll with 1,000 feet from SAMS is what I use and am still on the same roll I got 11 years ago! It may sound expensive, but not for what you get!
    Good to know. I will be making a run to Costco tomorrow and will pick some up. Thx.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    My Boston butt. I go through some foil.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    RRP said:

I have experienced that at times using regular light weight kichen foil, but never with heavy duty foil. A big 24" roll with 1,000 feet from SAMS is what I use and am still on the same roll I got 11 years ago! It may sound expensive, but not for what you
    get

@RRP - that roll sounds about the same age as your first thermopen.
    :D:D

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I cast lead a lot, and you can use an aluminum can to do this, but it will fail at 800 degrees.  Recycle places will not take foil because it evaporates at reclaim temperatures.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• RRP
    edited January 2014
    I have experienced that at times using regular light weight kichen foil, but never with heavy duty foil. A big 24" roll with 1,000 feet from kSAMS is what I use and am still on the same roll I got 11 years ago! It may sound expensive, but not for what you get
    @RRP - that roll sounds about the same age as your first thermopen. :D:D

True! Actually I have a benchmark date for things that is so ingrained in my mind. My wife and I loaned a couple $10,000 on good faith and the b*stards skipped and never repaid us. Tell you what true love is...my wife has never brought it up even though it was my idea to lend them the money!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    RRP said:
    Wow, I buy those same wraps, and I am on my third in 3 years.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• RRP
    RRP said:

Wow! I'm impressed, Doc! Doing the math you have been using nearly 3 feet worth of 2 foot wide HD foil every day for 3 years! I'm a light weight user so I bow to you! LOL
  • Doc_Eggerton

RRP said:
    RRP said:

Wow! I'm impressed, Doc! Doing the math you have been using nearly 3 feet worth of 2 foot wide HD foil every day for 3 years! I'm a light weight user so I bow to you! LOL
    Actually your math is perfect.  I used about three feet tonight.

• RRP
    That's about 6 square feet of HD foil - what were you egging or saving?
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Let's check the math. 365 days per year x 3 feet per day = 1095 feet in one year. How does a 1000 foot roll last 3 years at that rate?
    Tjcoley said:
    Let's check the math. 365 days per year x 3 feet per day = 1095 feet in one year. How does a 1000 foot roll last 3 years at that rate?
    ??? - please go back and read his reply - he is now on his 3rd roll in 3 years so with each being 1,000 feet then that was how I came up with nearly 3 feet of 2 foot wide foil PER day for nearly 3 years.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I stand corrected. Missed the 3 rolls.
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I would also go through a roll every hear to rear and a half. I buy the twin heavy duty Reynolds wrap from Costco think they are 250' each and I buy more than 1 a year.