Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KCBS Competitions

Does anyone on the forum do KCBS competitions?  Is it possible to do with one XL or is additional cooking space needed given the 4 meat categories?
XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I just don't see how you could do it with one XL.  You could get creative and pull it off with two possibly.  I went to Chris from Dizzy Pigs competition school in November and if I recall correctly he used one XL for his ribs, another XL for his briskets, a large for his butts and a medium for his chicken.

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I suppose you could if you cooked the brisket and pork first and then put them in a cambro box to hold while cooking the chicken & ribs. Although I think it is possible, I think it would be very difficult to time perfectly plus you'd likely end up cooking some of the meats with different smoke woods and temps than you would if you had separate Eggs. I think it would be a nightmare to pull off.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • We took two larges and a small, wouldn't really want to do it with less than that.
  • I've seen teams do it with 2 Xl's, I use an XL, 2 larges and a medium. There is a local team here in southern MN that uses 4 larges and they do pretty well. IMHO, given the registration cost, meat/lump/rub etc costs, it's a lot of money to put on the line with just one XL. Most of the KCBS events I've been to also have a backyard/amateur entry as well. Usually just pork and ribs. Might be a better option for giving your XL a try.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Yes, it can be done.  Although, I suggest a lot of practice in doing so.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Do they have a drinking division where the first one passed out wins? I might need some trophy space.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN