Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try with Rockwood

I bought 5 bags at firecraft and today I'm cooking two butts turbo for my first cook with it.
My first impression is it looks great. Some nice big chunks even after being tossed around by the shipping company. I'll let you know how it lasts for me but I'm pretty sure I have found the lump of my future cooks.
Nowhere Indiana

Comments

• You're going to love how fast it comes up to temp and how quickly it'll burn off the bad VOC's!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Dang, you bought 5 bags without even using it before? More trust in this forum than me, haha.
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    I bought a pallet of it without ever trying it based on the feedback from this forum. I have used five bags so far and it is one of the best I have ever used, it is made in the U.S.A, and has a forum member as part of the Rockwood management team. All pluses in my book!
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    +1 on trusting the forum for good recommendations.  However, there are a few OT subjects where it definitely is "buyer beware"!  :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BYS1981 said:

Dang, you bought 5 bags without even using it before? More trust in this forum than me, haha.

My first and last cook with royal oak I filled the firebox and it was all tiny pieces. The entire bag was tiny pieces. It burned for six hours and was gone! The last few BGE bags were mostly small pieces that just did not last.

I took the advice from @henapple and bought what it took for the free shipping. I didn't figure I had much to lose since all I had purchased lately totally sucked!

Nowhere Indiana
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    The last few bags of Royal Oak I have had have been great, better than many of the BGE brand bags I've bought.  That said, I only use it because its convenient.  I really want to get some Rockwood and Ozark Oak.  I will order the Rockwood when I start getting low on the bags I have now, just don't have enough storage right now.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    jls9595 said:
    The last few bags of Royal Oak I have had have been great, better than many of the BGE brand bags I've bought.  That said, I only use it because its convenient.  I really want to get some Rockwood and Ozark Oak.  I will order the Rockwood when I start getting low on the bags I have now, just don't have enough storage right now.

With the risk of sounding like a broken record, in another month (or two [or three {or seven}]), you should be able to order from your local Ace if it's stocked by the Gainesville warehouse.  If you're southeast of Nashville, it should be.

• Need to find a distributor in eastern Iowa
  • Loosemoose
    Loosemoose Posts: 295
    edited January 2014
    Here's my butts at 160 degrees. I then foiled until finished.
    They are now toweled and in the cooler.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Awesome @stlcharcoal. I hadn't seen that so thanks for saying it agin.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • stlcharcoal
    chappy319 said:
    Need to find a distributor in eastern Iowa
    Are you anywhere near Wilton?  I had a gentleman buy a pallet from there a few months ago.  I can forward your contact info to him if that's nearby.  Send me it in an email.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    @STLCHARCOAL....know anyone near Carrollton, KY where I can get some good lump ??

I know of one ACE next door to where I bought my egg in Crestwood. I think there are a couple in Louisville. Should these folks have Rockwood year round, or is it a seasonal item ??

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Chappy319, I'm in Cedar Rapids if you'd like to share a pallet sometime? 
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    @stlcharcoal the Do It Best buying and distribution headquarters are located up my way in Fort Wayne, IN. A lot of the Do It Best stores are Egg dealers. Seems like that could be a great place to gain distribution.
  • dihtn said:

@stlcharcoal the Do It Best buying and distribution headquarters are located up my way in Fort Wayne, IN. A lot of the Do It Best stores are Egg dealers. Seems like that could be a great place to gain distribution.

That's where I bought my egg in Huntington.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • dldawes1
    @STLCHARCOAL..after searching the website...looks like Bluegrass Grills in Lexington, KY sells Rockwood.

• I may be able to find a couple guys here who may be interested. I will talk to them and get back to you.
    Chappy319, I'm in Cedar Rapids if you'd like to share a pallet sometime? 

• stlcharcoal
    dldawes1 said:
    @STLCHARCOAL....know anyone near Carrollton, KY where I can get some good lump ??

I know of one ACE next door to where I bought my egg in Crestwood. I think there are a couple in Louisville. Should these folks have Rockwood year round, or is it a seasonal item ??

Right now the closest is in Versailles......BGE dealer Bluegrass Grills.  I emailed back and forth with the Charcoal & More store a few months ago, but never heard back from them.

At this point, the only Ace stores that will be carrying Rockwood, will be the ones serviced by the warehouse out of Gainesville, GA.  So that's northern GA, eastern TN, western NC, most of SC, and a little sliver of AL & KY from what I've been told.

Each store owner has the option of ordering when/if he or she wants, so there's no guarantee that it will be there year round.  This setup is quite different from what we require of our standalone dealers, so we'll see how it goes.

• Thank God some of us live close to Gainesville ,GA.. :) The Ace down from Chateau Elan  had a pallet on the floor when I got two bags from them a couple of weeks ago
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • dldawes1
    I'll be going through Gainesville on my way to FLA at the 1st of FEB.  Any chance of picking some up then !!! Somewhere along the way ???  I-75 all the way.

• If your going 75 your not close to 
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • I performed my first cook on Rockwood this weekend and am now a huge fan. I have used BGE and RO up until now and have to burn off the VOC every time. It is definitely noticeable and smells bad. It was barely noticeable on Rockwood (if at all?) and I was surprised at how little ash was left. The local BBQ store has 2-3 pallets of Rockwood at the store so I have a reliable place to buy.

Had friends and family over for pulled pork and ribs to watch the Broncos/Patriots game. Everything came out great including the game!

Go Broncos!

• stlcharcoal
    Mkadilla said:
    I performed my first cook on Rockwood this weekend and am now a huge fan. I have used BGE and RO up until now and have to burn off the VOC every time. It is definitely noticeable and smells bad. It was barely noticeable on Rockwood (if at all?) and I was surprised at how little ash was left. The local BBQ store has 2-3 pallets of Rockwood at the store so I have a reliable place to buy.

Did you get it at Ruff's??  Just guessing with the Bronco's comment.

Great place.  I was in Golden for a week in September and spent some time with him.......did some shopping down the street at Edward's as well.

Great town, great people, can't wait to visit again!

• dldawes1

@LASERDOC85...my bad....getting forgetful in my old age !!!!

• Mkadilla said:
    I performed my first cook on Rockwood this weekend and am now a huge fan. I have used BGE and RO up until now and have to burn off the VOC every time. It is definitely noticeable and smells bad. It was barely noticeable on Rockwood (if at all?) and I was surprised at how little ash was left. The local BBQ store has 2-3 pallets of Rockwood at the store so I have a reliable place to buy.

Did you get it at Ruff's??  Just guessing with the Bronco's comment.

Great place.  I was in Golden for a week in September and spent some time with him.......did some shopping down the street at Edward's as well.

Great town, great people, can't wait to visit again!

Yes, it was purchased at Ruffs BBQ. I agree that it is a great place as is Edwards Meats. The best liquor store in town is in between the two (AppleJacks). A trifecta!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I would love to get my hands on some ROCKWOOD but not sure how.  I am using the red bag of kamodo joe right now.   

My question is . . . if some ACE stores have it, why isnt Rockwood listed at ace.com?  This is the way I used to get Wicked Good because the product was listed online, I requested shipment it to my local store and then I could scoop it within a week.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • stlcharcoal
    NDG said:
    I would love to get my hands on some ROCKWOOD but not sure how.  I am using the red bag of kamodo joe right now.   

My question is . . . if some ACE stores have it, why isnt Rockwood listed at ace.com?  This is the way I used to get Wicked Good because the product was listed online, I requested shipment it to my local store and then I could scoop it within a week.

We're in the process of becoming an Ace vendor.  Those stores in Atlanta carrying it were part of a test run and ordered direct.  It went well, and now the mountain of paperwork and insurance.  Even when it's approved, we will only be in stores services by the Atlanta area warehouse.  Unfortunately, if you're in Ohio, this would not cover you unless your individual stores contacted us directly.  It's complicated.  :/   

• dldawes1

@NDG....I am going to find some Rockwood w/in the next couple of weeks. I live in Carrollton, KY. Cinci is about 1 hr away from me. I need to go to Finley Market to check out their meats, so if you want, I would pick up some for you and we could meet in Cinci when I go to FM.

It will be a couple weeks from now at the earliest.

Email me if you want   d.dawes1@twc.com

Donnie

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Ok that makes sense STL and @dldawes1 I appreciate the offer.  I just checked out Rockwood's website and see dealer locations in KY and MO.  I make sales trips in both states, so I will just try to hit a dealer in the upcoming months for a few trial bags.  Thanks again for offering though.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • I am happy to buy it 5 or more bags at time from Firecraft.  Good price and 4 day delivery to the door by the Fedex guy thinking he is delivering firewood!
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"