Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled my first all nighter!

jhl192
jhl192 Posts: 1,006
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
Pulled my first all nighter last night. Started the medium BGE at 9:40pm and put the Boston Butt on at 10:00pm at 240 degrees. Opened the vents slightly when I went to bed at 11:45 when the grill was at 235. Woke up up at 3:30. I am 55 years old so no alarm needed. The grill was at 255. Closed the vents slightly and went back to bed. When I woke up at 7:30 the grill was 250 on the button. The BGE is amazing! I was worried because I am using Cowboy lump. So far so good. Let's see this afternoon.
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Congrats.... Btw, the egg won't be that virgin white when you open it later :))

Also, where's the alcohol in the picture? ;)

Enjoy! I'm sure your butt with be great... what wood flavor did you use for smoke?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

"The BGE is amazing!"

Yes it is.  I really haven't figured out how anybody sells temperature controllers to egg owners.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Congrats on your overnight. I have yet to have enough courage to try one. :) Perhaps when the next baby is here I will try it out. Seems like ill be up every hour anyways. Ha ha ha. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Awesome!  I'm eager to see the results!  

Your post made me think about my first overnight cook and how things have changed after having a quite a few under my belt.  In the beginning, I would sleep downstairs and wake up every few hours to make sure everything was okay.  I was so restless about it, even with a pit controller.  I threw a brisket on at 2:30am and slept like a freaking baby.  I didn't even worry about checking it when I woke up at 9am as I knew it would be around 140ish.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Congrats on the cook-and you have reached BGE enlightenment...you can dial it in (once stable) and trust the BGE or you can spend the $$ and go with after-market controllers.  Even with those there are equipment failures.  Now that you know the keys to success you have options.
    Enjoy the results!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.