Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt tonight, how many of y'all inject?

jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
I normally use Chris Lilly's injection recipe but I don't have all the ingredients.  What's the consensus on injecting pork butts? Necessary? Any difference? Thanks.
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Never have and likely never will. I've turned out some pretty flavorful butts without it so if it ain't broke ya know. Plus, I'm too freaking lazy for all that extra work lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I have always done the Chris Lilly injection recipe - apple juice, worchestershire sauce, sugar, and salt.  Do a web search for the recipe.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Not I, although I marinate which is not the norm.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• jls9595
    QDude said:
    I have always done the Chris Lilly injection recipe - apple juice, worchestershire sauce, sugar, and salt.  Do a web search for the recipe.
    yeah, I have used it at least 12-15 times but I have no apple juice.  SWMBO won't answer her phone and I have the young'ns here so I am not going to attempt a trip to the store.  I guess I'll either come up with another injection or just not inject.  

I have the 11lb butt in the sink thawing in ice water, I wanted to put it on by now so it would have a chance to be done before church tomorrow and resting in FTC until lunch but I don't think I'll make it now.  Guess I'll have to skip churchimage
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I don't inject, just cook and eat!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • jls9595
    jaydub58 said:
    I don't inject, just cook and eat!
    I guess that's what I'll do.  I have had great success with the chris lilly injection and that's all the in-laws have had as far as my BBQ goes(they are coming over tomorrow, m-in-law's b-day) so I don't want to disappoint. I'm sure there probably isn't a huge difference either way.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have never injected a butt.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited January 2014
    No injection here, I have 3 butts on the egg right now, kids are coming over for their fare share.
    I have thought about trying to inject, but I am with cazzy, just to lazy, and the flavour is still awesome.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • I have never injected one either. I can't imagine that it could possibly make it any more moist than without. Butts are my favorite go-to cook. The best ones I have done have been a very light rub and let the meat speak for itself. My dad did one injected and one without a few weeks back and said he would never waste his time injecting again. FWIW.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • jls9595
    The un-injected butt with Bad Byron's and Jim Beam Rub on top of a thin coat of olive oil.  We will see...image
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It's Saturday night and we're talking about injecting butts
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Nope
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jls9595
    henapple said:
    It's Saturday night and we're talking about injecting butts
    I just googled "injecting butts" for an appropriate gif.  I'll never do that again
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I inject with Butcher BBQ Pork injection and use Dr. Pepper instead of water for the liquid.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • jls9595
    BOWHUNR said:
    I inject with Butcher BBQ Pork injection and use Dr. Pepper instead of water for the liquid.

Mike
    I'll have to try that sometime.  The only injection I have used besides Lilly's is is strained Italian dressing, which was good.  

I'm just not sure an injection does that much.  I will find out tomorrow I guess.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    No injection for me either. And it doesn't have to be defrosted. At all. Just takes a little longer, an hour or so I'm told. Even Little Steven can do it.  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I inject with Lawry's teriyaki marinade. The results are phenomenal.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jls9595
    I inject with Lawry's teriyaki marinade. The results are phenomenal.
    where do you buy that? I have never seen it before.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've injected with Wickers...good vinegar based marinade
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jls9595 said:
    where do you buy that? I have never seen it before.
    Harris Teeter - right near the salad dressing.
  • jls9595
    hmm I may have to search a while...not sure where the nearest Harris Teeter is.  They may carry it at my local grocery, just never looked.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Wait. You're from Carolina and you 1) inject and 2) with teriyaki?!! You HAVE to be a transplant. You just have to be! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jls9595
    Here it is, almost ready to pull and FTC.  Looks good, still unsure how much difference, if any, I'll notice between injected and non-injected.  Can't wait to "test" this hypothesis.  image
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    This is what I use and they come out Great!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • I inject with Lawry's teriyaki marinade. The results are phenomenal.
    Wait. You're from Carolina and you 1) inject and 2) with teriyaki?!! You HAVE to be a transplant. You just have to be! :)
    Guilty as charged. The interesting thing is that the marinade does not impart a lick of teriyaki flavor to the butt - it simply makes it incredibly moist. This was a trick Charlie Tuna suggested to me once and it sounded interesting so I gave it a shot. I don't think I'll ever do a butt differently after the results.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2014
    I have done one of each at same time before. Pulled each and literally couldnt tell the difference. I think it is waist of time and moolah. Just saying.....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jls9595
    Chubbs said:
    I have done one of each at same time before. Pulled each and literally couldnt tell the difference. I think it is waist of time and moolah. Just saying.....
    I like this answer as I am fairly lazy  ;)   I was just afraid to stop injecting since I kept getting great results.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    Well, I guess I won't be worrying about injecting my pork shoulders too much.  I couldn't really tell a difference.image
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    Pulled pork egg rolls(again) with red wine vinegar slaw for the night game. Are they good you ask?  image

I can't find the words...
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Oh man I so want to do those!