Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand New Pizza Stone

Options

The family gave me an early birthday present last night, a BGE pizza stone. It’s a perfect day in Atlanta to cook pizza and watch football. ANY ideas or thoughts on the “first” cook with the new eggcessory? I have read some other posts about the dough sticking?

Thanks in advance-

Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Use parchment paper or sprinkle some cornmeal on the stone and the dough shouldn't stick.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• laserdoc85
    Options
    Head to public and get a ball if their dough. I made some dough myself last weekend and it was OK but public is so much easier and I don't have to clean up the bread machine
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • canman
    canman Posts: 52
    Options
    parchment and cornmeal is a must. It seems to cook faster than they claim, so check it early, enjoy!
    Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options
    I have seen the dough at Publix before but have never attempted building a pie at the house, Ill head up there shortly and pick up the materials!!!
    I'm shooting to cook 2 pizza's this afternoon for some variety. 
    Thanks 
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Have fun!!! Pizzas on the BGE can be pretty awesome once you get the hang of things.

Remember many of the ready-made doughs have sugar in them and aren't designed to be cooked much over 500 degrees.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Chris_Wang
    Options
    After the first pizza, you may want to wipe the top of the stone with a damp rag to cool it off a tad so that the second pizza doesn't burn. Up to you though.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Acorn
    Options
    Great tips, I would have never thought of those things. What temp should I shoot for?
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • Chris_Wang
    Options
    It varies for everyone, but I like 550°.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Oh, and watch out for the flashbacks at that temp. Definitely burp the egg before opening it up.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Check the ingredients of the dough. If there is sugar or oil in it I would say 500* max.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I cook a bit lower, around 500, just because I've burned a few of the crusts.  I pretty much get everything going and have the stone on the Egg and heated before sliding the pie (on top of parchment paper) onto the stone.  After a few minutes, I try to slide the paper out from underneath the pie.  I also usually rotate the pie a bit here, as the back of the Egg tends to be a little hotter than the front.  Then after a few minutes more I check the crust.  Many times it's done.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Fat_Chef
    Options
    I have found that if you let the dough get close to room temp it will be easier to roll out and it wont shrink back up  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you buy dough from the grocery store, get the oldest one they have, up to 3 days or so old. When I make dough, I let it sit in the fridge for a few days and it gets better by the day (up to a point :) ). Of course, it doesn't matter whose fridge it sits in. :) You could buy dough made today and put it in your own fridge for 2-3 days too.

Never understood putting cornmeal on the stone. I have never had a pie stick to the stone, just to the peel. I put a pinch of semolina on the peel to make it slide off without sticking (much better than cornmeal, imo). If you don't have a peel, you can build your pie on the underside of a cookie sheet. Be sure to add the semolina (or cornmeal or even flour) before the dough goes on. 

I dislike parchment paper. I don't think the crust is as good . However, it does make it easy to get the pie onto the stone. If you use it, pull it out from under the pie after a couple of minutes. Crust will improve.

Put the pizza stone in the egg when you light it, so it comes up to temp with the egg. Make sure it is hot before you slide the pie onto the stone. I suspect that is why some have pies that stick to the stone. If you don't have an infrared thermometer to check stone temp, just let the egg stabilize at your chosen baking temp for 15-30 minutes. You don't want a hot egg and cold stone.

For most doughs, 500°-ish is a good temp. A bit lower for a good deep dish, higher for a wetter dough than grocery stores will have. I've done them as high as 900°. It's an adventure!! :))

Raise the stone up into the dome a bit and add spacers between the stone and the indirect piece (in my case, a platesetter. My setup looks like the pics below.

Good Luck!!

imageimage

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bullhalsey
    Options
    If you buy dough from the grocery store, get the oldest one they have, up to 3 days or so old. When I make dough, I let it sit in the fridge for a few days and it gets better by the day (up to a point :) ). Of course, it doesn't matter whose fridge it sits in. :) You could buy dough made today and put it in your own fridge for 2-3 days too.

Never understood putting cornmeal on the stone. I have never had a pie stick to the stone, just to the peel. I put a pinch of semolina on the peel to make it slide off without sticking (much better than cornmeal, imo). If you don't have a peel, you can build your pie on the underside of a cookie sheet. Be sure to add the semolina (or cornmeal or even flour) before the dough goes on. 

I dislike parchment paper. I don't think the crust is as good . However, it does make it easy to get the pie onto the stone. If you use it, pull it out from under the pie after a couple of minutes. Crust will improve.

Put the pizza stone in the egg when you light it, so it comes up to temp with the egg. Make sure it is hot before you slide the pie onto the stone. I suspect that is why some have pies that stick to the stone. If you don't have an infrared thermometer to check stone temp, just let the egg stabilize at your chosen baking temp for 15-30 minutes. You don't want a hot egg and cold stone.

For most doughs, 500°-ish is a good temp. A bit lower for a good deep dish, higher for a wetter dough than grocery stores will have. I've done them as high as 900°. It's an adventure!! :))

Raise the stone up into the dome a bit and add spacers between the stone and the indirect piece (in my case, a platesetter. My setup looks like the pics below.

Good Luck!!

imageimage
    Question, how do you get the pepperoni crisp and curled a little???  I love it when its a little crisp, have a fav pizza place that does it that way…what's the secret to that??  Thanks.
  • marcfed
    marcfed Posts: 47
    Options
    @Carolina Q.... where did you get those spacers and metal rack that your stone is sitting on? I have had pretty good success just placing the stone directly on the plate setter but am always willing to try something new
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I also use semolina on the peel rather than corn meal.  I have 2 peels - a wood one for building the pizza and putting it on the stone and a metal one for removing it.  That way we can be building the next pizza while I have the metal peel at the BGE to give the pizza a turn halfway through.

One of the most important things I have learned is to give the pizza stone plenty of time to warm up to 500 degrees.  It takes a lot longer than you think - probably close to a half hour.  I use an IR thermometer to check the stone temp.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Carolina Q
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Bullhalsey, I use hand cut pepperoni, not pre sliced. Seems to work better. A bit thicker than pre sliced, plus it just tastes better! :) Margherita brand as I recall, but I suspect any brand would do that. 

marcfed, the spacers are terracotta planter feet, outdoor garden shop at Lowes. Or any garden shop. The metal rack is an old mini woo from ceramic grill store. It appears that they no longer make that style. You could just use a couple of fire bricks. My setup raises the stone 4" above the platesetter on my large egg.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Fat_Chef said:
    I have found that if you let the dough get close to room temp it will be easier to roll out and it wont shrink back up  
    This is very important. I leave my dough ball out on the counter for two hours before I start to shape the pie.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Acorn
    Options
    All you guys rock, thanks for all the info. I just ran up to Restaurant Depot and picked up a pizza peel, OK off to the grocery for the ingredients. 
    The beverages are cooling as I type this note!!!
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • Looper
    Looper Posts: 44
    Options
    We've made individual pizzas a couple times now for parties. We use Bobby Flay's pizza dough recipe (Google: best pizza dough recipe.)  I've got a Woo 2 AR Combo and put the pizza stone on the top tier. I sprinkle corn meal on the stone before placing the pizza on and cook it between 550 and 600 degrees. Just got a Super Peel and used it on the last cook - it made moving the raw pizza around much, much easier. I highly recommend this product if you do pizzas very often.
  • Acorn
    Options
    I just picked one up this morning Looper!!!
    Thanks.
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • Looper
    Looper Posts: 44
    Options