Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Chicken Thighs

Yesterday, I thought chicken thighs were in order. Thighs are my second favorite part of the bird behind wings. Unfortunately, you can't do much with wings except eat them like...well, like wings. But I wanted to cook once and eat twice. Or three times. Figured the big pack of thighs would get me a couple of leftover meals. I'm thinking grilled Ceaser Salad tonight and maybe chicken pizzas for Thursday.

I'm starting to run low on my BBQ spices. That allowed me to find this bag of spices that I won two years ago at the Plano Eggfest. It kind of got shoved in the back, but it was sealed up and it still tasted fresh when I opened it.

Tossed them on the Egg for a raised direct cook at 400F.

A few drinks later and they were almost done.

That should be enough for a few meals, right?

All plated up. Just a salad because I totally spaced and forgot about sides.

And a little home brew to go wash it down

So does anybody have a good, classic Ceasar dressing recipe that I can try tonight? I'm talking anchovies and the whole nine yards?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Was the skin crispy? I looks like it may have been but I cant tell. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    It was a little crispy. I rubbed them down and tossed them in the fridge around 3:30 and there they sat until 6:30 so they got a little air dry time. Cooked them skin side up for the first part of the cook, then turned them skin side down. Grease came pouring out, flames shot up, closed the Egg but temp had spiked to 500+. Flipped them after 5 minutes and then let them go till they were done. I think that "kiss" of flames helped to crisp them up. They weren't crispy like fried chicken, but they weren't rubbery either.

Rowlett, Texas

• shadowcaster
    shadowcaster Posts: 620
    edited January 2014
    Those are some mighty fine looking thighs you have there!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks great Grif. I really like thighs but don't cook them very often. This will inspire me to try them soon.

I use THIS Caesar Dressing except I use all olive oil and I use a hand blender instead of whisking --similar to the way I make an aioli.  

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Chicken look good but are you drinking alone and watching the Bachelor? :-O

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Griffin
    No, the wife was home and we were not watching the bachelor. Watched Castle and then the Goldbergs last night. That might have been a commercial.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    When Stacie wakes up and sees just how much better she can do, tosses you out would you come live with me and VI?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited January 2014

I use this salad dressing.  It's great.

Serves 4 to 6

If you can't find ciabatta, a similar crusty, rustic loaf of bread can be substituted. A quarter cup of Egg Beaters may be substituted for the egg yolks. Since anchovy fillets vary in size, more than 6 fillets may be necessary to yield 1 tablespoon of minced anchovies. The easiest way to turn garlic cloves into a paste is to grate them on a rasp-style grater.

Ingredients

• Croutons
    • 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    • 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste from 1 medium clove (see note)
    • 1/2 - 3/4 loaf ciabatta, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 5 cups) (see note)
    • 1/4 cup water
    • 1/4 teaspoon table salt
    • 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
    • Salad
    • 3/4 teaspoon garlic paste from 1 large clove (see note)
    • 2 - 3 tablespoons juice from 1 to 2 lemons
    • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 6 anchovy fillets, patted dry with paper towels, minced fine, and mashed to paste with fork (1 tablespoon) (see note)
    • 2 large egg yolks (see note)
    • 5 tablespoons canola oil
    • 5 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 1/2 ounces finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 3/4 cup)
    • Ground black pepper
    • 2 - 3 romaine hearts, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices, rinsed, and dried very well (8 to 9 lightly pressed cups)

Instructions

1. FOR THE CROUTONS: Combine 1 tablespoon oil and garlic paste in small bowl; set aside. Place bread cubes in large bowl. Sprinkle with water and salt. Toss, squeezing gently so bread absorbs water. Place remaining 4 tablespoons oil and soaked bread cubes in 12-inch nonstick skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until browned and crisp, 7 to 10 minutes.

2. Remove skillet from heat, push croutons to sides of skillet to clear center, add garlic/oil mixture to clearing and cook with residual heat of pan, 10 seconds. Sprinkle with Parmesan; toss until garlic and Parmesan are evenly distributed. Transfer croutons to bowl; set aside.

3. FOR THE SALAD: Whisk garlic paste and 2 tablespoons lemon juice together in large bowl. Let stand 10 minutes.

4. Whisk Worcestershire sauce, anchovies, and egg yolks into garlic/lemon juice mixture. While whisking constantly, drizzle canola oil and extra virgin olive oil into bowl in slow, steady stream until fully emulsified. Add 1/2 cup Parmesan and pepper to taste; whisk until incorporated.

5. Add romaine to dressing and toss to coat. Add croutons and mix gently until evenly distributed. Taste and season with up to additional 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Serve immediately, passing remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan separately.

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited January 2014
    I hope this doesn't sound too personal, but great lookin' thighs!! I particularly like the looks and color of the one in the plated picture.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • I made the caesar dressing NecessaryIndulg linked last night. It was the best I have ever had!
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Is it a hefe?

Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

Those look good!

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I made the caesar dressing NecessaryIndulg linked last night. It was the best I have ever had!
    where is that recipe?
    where is that recipe?
    click on the word "this" that is highlighted and underlined in NecessaryIndulg's original post and it will take you right to the website with the step by step recipe 
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looks outstanding griff!  Great choice on the plated thigh.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    few drinks later and they were almost done

You cook chicken thighs in 4 minutes?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Looks awesome, I haven't done thighs in a while and now you inspired me.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin

Yep @henapple I drink my Jack and coke in about 2 minutes flat. ;)

@TUTTLE871 where you been hiding, man?

Rowlett, Texas

• TUTTLE871
    Griffin said:

Yep @henapple I drink my Jack and coke in about 2 minutes flat. ;)

@TUTTLE871 where you been hiding, man?

When the winter arrives I go into hibernation mode.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Apparently. You going to Salado?

Rowlett, Texas

• TUTTLE871
    If we have our car ready I will be going to Gainesville FL for the Gator Nationals. I will know for sure come the first week of March.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.