Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatchcock chicken questions

Options
Im planning on doing one this weekend. I plan on setting in fridge the day be for, do i season it before placing in fridge? Best heat method (direct or indirect) temp and time I know the breast at 160* just need a rough time. Thanks you all. Tim.
Large Egg, Warner Robins,Ga

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I season 1hr or so before goin on the egg. Do you have a way to go raised direct? If so I cook at 400-425 raised direct for about 1hr maybe a little less. If no raised direct then I would go same temps with the PS and a drip pan.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I go direct raised at 400. I don't know time anymore on my chicken cooks. I just stick my thermapen in and it tells me it's done.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Timbo66
    Timbo66 Posts: 109
    Options
    I can, I have the extend a rack. Thanks alot for the 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    I usually go raised indirect cause I find the drippings produce a bad smoke but apparently that doesnt stop most so I may have to try it again!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Normally I go 424 raised indirect. I did one recently raised indirect on the top rack of the AR that was the best one I've made to date. I walked away from the egg for a little while thinking the temp was stable. The temp crept up to 500-525* and I was worried it would get dry. It was the best skin I've had and it stayed very juicy too. Might have gotten lucky. I need to try that again. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I've only recently gotten my AR, so I haven't had time to try using it to cook the chicken raised indirect. 

The first meal I made on my brand new Egg was spatchcocked chicken. I used the platesetter legs up with a foil drip pan on it. The chicken was cooked at 325 degrees for 1:30 and was flipped at the midpoint (45 mins) from breast side up to breast side down to finish. It was brushed with some olive oil when I flipped it. I have found at that temp, they typically take from 1:30 to 1:45. I didn't have a problem with smoke from the drippings, but the 325 degree cooking temperature may explain that. Someone around here (Mickey I think) suggested using 1/2" copper plumbing T's for shims, and that is what I use if I am worried about smoke from drippings.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Raised direct 400 skin side up
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Not trying to hijack the thread but is there a difference between cooking two chicken halves and a spatchcock? Halves just seem easier to me bit trying to make sure I am not missing something. Thanks
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I just did a spatchcock cook last weekend. Raised direct at 400. Took almost exactly an hour. There was a little smokiness from the drippings. Other than that, it was very moist.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Timbo66
    Timbo66 Posts: 109
    Options
    Thanks you all.
  • FloridaTexan
    Options
    bo31210 said:
    Not trying to hijack the thread but is there a difference between cooking two chicken halves and a spatchcock? Halves just seem easier to me bit trying to make sure I am not missing something. Thanks

I am interested in this same question.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

Here's a link to address spatchcock and half-cocked chix- http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#chicken  Main site is an eggcellent reference for all things ceramic-check it out sometime.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.