Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Ring of Fire" ~ fire building technique

Any of you folks tried this concept before? I will be doing my 1st batch of Jerky this week on my XL and have been debating on how to build my fire to maintain as low of temps as possible for a long period of time. I'd really like to maintain 160 degrees throughout my entire cook and that "Ring of Fire" concept seems to make the most sense for a cook of this fashion. Any of you doing this fire building method?
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax

Comments

• Whatever you do don't fall in cuz it Burns-Burns-Burns, the ring of fire, the ring of fire.

My apologies to JC & RB. :D
    Gittin' there...
  • HeHeHeHe! I knew that wasn't going to take long. In all seriousness though, I'd like to know if this technique works.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Your temp will also depend on how cold it is outside, and how much oxygen is feeding the fire. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • .... maybe I should explain more better :D You take a metal can(large coffee can) or metal pail and fill it full with sand; place this dead center in your fire pit. Then you find a block or brick and place it between the metal can and side of the fire pit, this will act as a divider. Then you fill in around the rest of the metal can with your Lump. Finally, light the Lump on one end directly up against the brick or block divider. This is the only location you will light your Lump. Now the burning Lump will spread by making a ring completely around the metal can as it burns throughout the duration of the cook.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Sounds interesting, and maybe appropriate when I try to smoke some bacon.  Where did you learn the method/concept?  I did not find it on this forum
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've seen folks fill a coffee can with chunks added and light.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

• My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • This video shows the new Chargriller Akorn Kamado and the IQ110.  The Ring of Fire charcoal method is demonstrated for controlling the charcoal burn rate in a kamado style cooker.

Here ya go!
  • I swear ... I can't post up a link of something for the life of me! :((
  • It's on a "How-To" video over on PitMasterIQ website
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    I did my first jerky today.  It turned out great.  I didn't know about the ring of fire technique.  I used a empty 2 pound can of beans and filled it with used lump.  I did the IQ110 at the lowest setting and it worked just fine.  Dome temp between 150-160 all day long.  Cherry for the smoke.  I did have to fill a total of three times to get me to the 8 hour mark. Since the egg was so cold, the first load was spent getting it up to temp after about 45 minutes.  The third load went in about the 4 hour mark and did the rest.  I think I'll be looking for a 3 pound can the next time.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • mokadir said:
    I did my first jerky today.  It turned out great.  I didn't know about the ring of fire technique.  I used a empty 2 pound can of beans and filled it with used lump.  I did the IQ110 at the lowest setting and it worked just fine.  Dome temp between 150-160 all day long.  Cherry for the smoke.  I did have to fill a total of three times to get me to the 8 hour mark. Since the egg was so cold, the first load was spent getting it up to temp after about 45 minutes.  The third load went in about the 4 hour mark and did the rest.  I think I'll be looking for a 3 pound can the next time.

What size Egg?
  • caliking
    .... maybe I should explain more better :D You take a metal can(large coffee can) or metal pail and fill it full with sand; place this dead center in your fire pit. Then you find a block or brick and place it between the metal can and side of the fire pit, this will act as a divider. Then you fill in around the rest of the metal can with your Lump. Finally, light the Lump on one end directly up against the brick or block divider. This is the only location you will light your Lump. Now the burning Lump will spread by making a ring completely around the metal can as it burns throughout the duration of the cook.
    Wasn't meaning to shoot your idea down, so sorry if it came off that way :) I've seen that method used for kettle grills but it could work for kamados too. Worth a try for sure.

• caliking said:
    .... maybe I should explain more better :D You take a metal can(large coffee can) or metal pail and fill it full with sand; place this dead center in your fire pit. Then you find a block or brick and place it between the metal can and side of the fire pit, this will act as a divider. Then you fill in around the rest of the metal can with your Lump. Finally, light the Lump on one end directly up against the brick or block divider. This is the only location you will light your Lump. Now the burning Lump will spread by making a ring completely around the metal can as it burns throughout the duration of the cook.
    Wasn't meaning to shoot your idea down, so sorry if it came off that way :) I've seen that method used for kettle grills but it could work for kamados too. Worth a try for sure.

No worries! I prolly ask to many questions ... feel free to tell me to get lost. :D
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Paneer: 
    Pappadum: 
    Paratha: 
    Poori:
    Pulao: 
    Raita: 
    Rasam: 
    Saag: 
    Samosa:

If your thread title doesn't include any of these and Time Life quality pics the wrath of @Caliking will come down upon you.

=))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    mokadir said:
    I did my first jerky today.  It turned out great.  I didn't know about the ring of fire technique.  I used a empty 2 pound... I'll be looking for a 3 pound can the next time.

What size Egg?

Large
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Yes, finally ... thanks for posting the video link! They explain this fire building method @ the very end of this video. Seems like it would work good for a low temp cook for long durations. I might just have to try it!
  • I think I've heard a variation on this referred to as the "fuse method". In fact the first smoked brisket I had was cooked this way over a regular charcoal grill. It was phenomenal.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I guess I'm not following why you would want to do this. A while back, I cooked a butt. Took about 18-20 hours as I recall. Here is the lump I started with (on my large), what it looked like when the beast was FINALLY done and then, after stirring for the next cook. I'm guessing I could have gone close to 40 hours. And all I did was dump it in and light it in 3-4 places. I've never come close to running out of lump, except on a 900° pizza cook. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    henapple said:
    Paneer:  Pappadum:  Paratha:  Poori: Pulao:  Raita:  Rasam:  Saag:  Samosa: If your thread title doesn't include any of these and Time Life quality pics the wrath of @Caliking will come down upon you. =))
    You cookin' all that? I'm heading over to your place...now! Pics be damned :D

• The only time I have ever run out of lump was like what @CarolinaQ said, it was on a 900* pizza cook and i cooked 4 pizzas before it ran out.
  • The only time I have ever run out of lump was like what @CarolinaQ said, it was on a 900* pizza cook and i cooked 4 pizzas before it ran out.

It's not about running out of Lump or not. More about building a REALLY low temp fire and keeping it from getting TOO HOT.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I haven't done beef jerky, but when I am shooting for low temps (like 140-180), I light two or three coals either in my mini or a charcoal starter, then just drop them on top of the lump in my large. Of course, I have a pit controller to keep it going. Don't know if it would work without one.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings