Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question - Smoking the Flat

Options
I am smoking chicken and brisket flat this weekend.  

For the brisket....Is there a minimum size brisket flat that I need to buy to ensure a juicy brisket?  (Using the correct technique of course)  I was planning on a 4-6lb flat.  Is that large enough?  Or... if the brisket is smaller, do you only need to adjust the cooking time but can still get a moist product?

I would prefer the point or cooking a whole brisket but I have more health conscious peeps I am cooking for and the whole brisket would just be too much food.
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I suspect the fat content in the original chunk you start with has more to do with the end result than how large it is.  The flat is quite a bit leaner than the point, thus the basic conundrum.  

I'll probably get hosed by the brisket purists here, but if your main concern is the amount of meat, I'd think you'd have better luck getting an 11-lb packer and splitting it in half.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I've done quite a few 7lb-ish flats.  No difference and no problems here. I get them from my local butcher and make sure to buy quality meat.

As Centex's last brisket posting shows, a lot of the success with brisket is the quality of the brisket you purchase.

Best of luck and enjoy!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Low and slow till tender. ..not necessarily temp.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Here are a few links regarding brisket that should be of help-most with the BGE run around 260-280*F on the dome FYI:

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lowandslow
    Options
    Thank you for the help everyone!
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • shannonlcorum
    shannonlcorum Posts: 200
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I did two smaller corned beef briskets (about 4 pounds each) last weekend. It was my first time in the egg, but I've done several on a regular smoker. I usually do a dry rub of various herbs the night before. The morning of, I got the egg up to about 300, then put my briskets on (fat side up) and backed the heat down to 250-ish. I did notice it was harder to keep the temp low on the egg compared to my previous smoker, which leaked smoke and heat terribly and wanted to run cooler. I threw a handful of Jack Daniels chips on the coals and let it smoke a couple of hours. Then I threw another handful on and smoked it a few hours more (4-5 hours total). My dad is a pretty experienced smoker and taught me that meat will usually only take about 4 hours of smoke and then you're just wasting wood. After about 5 hours, I removed the briskets, used heavy duty foil to make a bowl shape around the brisket, then poured in some apple juice and folded the foil together on top to keep the liquid from leaking out. I did this for both briskets separately, then placed them back on the egg for another 4 hours. When the brisket was 170 degrees, I removed them. Left them in the foil "pouch", wrapped each in a towel, and put them in a cooler until we were ready to eat about an hour and a half later. When I took them out of the cooler and unwrapped them, they were still hot and so tender they just crumbled under the knife. YUMMY! I've done regular brisket this way too. There's several ways to do brisket, but this always turns out great for me. When it comes to brisket, you always want to do low and slow. Brisket is really tough so it takes a long time to break down the meat and make it tender. I know they say about 1 1/2 hours per pound, but I usually cook mine about 9 hours + depending on how big it is.
    ShannyShooShoo 
    Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders