Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about bad smoke smell leading to bad food taste

Options
So i just cooked pizza and it tasted like that bad smoke smell that usually burns off in first 20-30 minutes of lighting the egg. 

Well the bad smoke that's usually around the first 20 minutes after lighting the egg, stuck around for the 45-60 minutes with temp stabilizing at 550. I got a little arrogant and cooked my two pizzas, knowing it would probably not taste good. I was hungry and I love pizza. i couldn't help myself. 

I'm wondering if my last two cooks had something to do with the smoke sticking around the entire cook or if i should have just waited longer for it to go away. My last two cooks were a 13 hour brisket and then a few days later a 12 hour pork butt. should I have cleaned the egg completely with a high temp burn a few days before doing pizza?

luckily the pizzas were just for me and the mrs because, while they looked great, they tasted like that bad smoke. 

thanks for any advice on this. 

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I've found from my experience after a butt cook it takes a bit longer to get rid of the VOCs especially if it's new charcoal plus cooked right after a butt.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited January 2014
    Options
    By my personal eggperience it sounds like you have a build up of crappy grease mixed with creosote and you need to do a high temp burn off. There are threads here by some folks who don't understand the need or fear damage, but some times you need to trust eggperience if you get my drift.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

I think the first two posters are on to something.  I was always a stick burner prior to the Egg and did all my smoking on offset smokers and my grilling (or pizza cooking in this instance) elsewhere, so never needed a burn off which would be sacrilegious with a high-end stick burner that was used for nothing but low and slow.  But in the Egg where most of us combine the two, that makes sense. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @RRP is probably right. If your brisket and butt was heavily smoked and cooked at low temps, chances are about the time your pies were done, the crap on the inside of the egg was also gone. After a butt or brisket, I like to bring the egg to temp with no set-up, empty. Give it a chance to burn off. A clean burn is Ok, remove the dome thermo and let her rip - I usually only fill the fire box, takes about an hour and the crap is gone. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • anez
    anez Posts: 150
    Options
    Thanks for the input, guys. I'm in the middle of a high temp burnoff right now. Appreciate the advice.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Clean burns are like taking a shower after several days in the woods. You smell better and feel better!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    In 28 years of egging I have never had bad smoke. I would not even know what to look for. There are some who do not even suggest a clean burn. I did one after 13 years on my current egg because I thought I had to after reading some posts here. Wish I hadn't. I had a great tasting egg. Now it will take time to get that egg taste back again
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    When doing pizza I like to let the egg burn wide open (daisy off, draft open) until the smoke is clean, then dial it back to cooking temp (500 or so) and let it stabilize.  So, basically it is a clean burn of sorts but I don't let it run for an hour and use a whole load of charcoal or anything.  Just let it burn until it smells clean. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• calracefan
    Options
    I had this happen the first time I made pizza. I think it was from some dripping that had made to the lump. If you are reusing charcoal I would let it burn for clean up a little longer than normal. If it is a fresh load I think it will be ready when the smoke clears.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO