Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I've been spoiled ... and I like it!

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to a friends house last night for a meal on his new webber kettle. He used match-lite charcoal. While the company was wonderful, the food (burgers and Polish sausage) had a VERY DISTINCT lighter fluid taste. I held my tounge and was a very appreaciative guest, but I now know just how great my eggs are![p]Today will include a trip to my local source for natural hardwood lump to buy an ample supply (don't ever want to run out)![p]Smokey

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Smokey,
    I guess you told your friend about lump charcoal!
    I know what you mean. Regular briquettes squirted with lighter fluid is bad enough.
    That match-light charcoal is hideously full of chemicals. Might as well throw some chunks of styrofoam in while you are at it. [p]I guess we ARE kind of spoiled. Or maybe just educated.
    No going back now. Q-snobs for life.[p]NB

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]There is something to good to be said about "Match Light" products, skeeters and no-see-ums usually get far away. Kinda like cooking with citronella oil......[p]Z[p]

• Zip
    Options
    Smokey,[p]You know there are some folks that associate the smell and taste of lighter fluid with "good" grilled food. If that "taste" isn't there, the food doesn't taste right to them. I used to work with a guy that everytime the folks behind the store would fire off a batch of lighter fluid charcoal, he would always comment on how good it smelled. Yuk![p]Z

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Naure Boy,
    And now you know why they say BBQd food can cause cancer. Why don't we just drink lighter fluid while we are at it. I can't believe that stuff is allowed on the market. I've burned my last briquette years ago.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Zip,
    That's funny. There is another use for the stuff.[p]Alternative Aroma Therapy!
    Put your old co-worker in a room with one chunk of that matchlight stuff burning.
    Ring a bell, and watch the saliva flow!! Yeeeee ha!![p]Off the wall.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Zip, my sentiments as well and the same for a couple guys I know who won't touch a steak without lambasting it, their plate and the table cloth with A-1 Steak Sauce and then sit there and talk about how good steak tastes! What a hoot! ^oo^~

• MAC
    Options
    MAC,
    Its like a first love, I remember the first time I fired up Mr. Green. There was no odor of chemicals. It was alder wood that was used on the first burn. I can still smell it in my minds eye. What a lovely bouquet.

• MAC
    Options
    one feral kat,
    Hay,! Thats about my wife your talking . And quite frankly it bugs the HELL out of me. I feel like saying " Want me to get the catsup too, Dear? ARGGGGG ! ! ! These are master pieces we are talking about. Sort of like ordering a Lex with a vinyl bench seat.

• Zip
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]I actually eat steak like that, but only at the Waffle Ho#%!e(**) at 2:30 in the morning. If they will bring you enough A-1, they make some pretty fine steak.[p]
    Zip[p](**) ~ The name of the restaurant was not fully disclosed to protect the innocent and is solely my opinion based on years of experience.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Naure Boy,[p]Today I will bring him a 10lb bag of lump and som starter cubes. I think I will tell him it was on special so as not to hurt his feelings![p]Smokey[p]

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    one feral kat,
    When I was working on an offshore drilling rig, I actually saw a roughneck put Hershey's Chocolate Syrup on a steak. Talk about losing your appetite.
    JimW

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Smokey,
    Cool. You already told him his food was good.[p]Just tell him you noticed that he was using briquettes, and that, as a friend, you would introduce him to something that will change his life. You know, real wood without fillers and chemicals. He'll be hooked. You gonna give him a demo??[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ