Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too cold for a guru?

Options
Hi, I was wonder if anyone's had a problem with the guru fan stopping when it's too cold out?
I was smoking a brisket Christmas eve went out to check it around 2am. It had been holding steady at 220 for hours.
Then the temp outside dipped down to -5. When I checked on it, it was down to 190 and the fan wasn't running.

Dead smack in the middle of NH

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    I don't know, but I do know it's just too cold in general.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    These devices are probably not designed to hold up in sub-zero temps.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Mine registers button pushes slow when its cold out but no issues with it stopping.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm thinking that the folks who designed the guru asked themselves if people would be crazy enough to even think about using it at below 0 temps. Nah.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Options

I have had the issue in similar temps.  My most recent cook was an overnight with temps in the single digits.  Per someone's request, on this most recent cook I positioned the fan so the blower unit was oriented upward (bottom hole where you can see the fan turning tipped to the side).  It worked.  It think this prevents the moisture from dripping down into the fan unit...or it was a fluke.  Give it try.

XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    Options
    I too have encountered the same issue.  Upon investigation I found frost on the fan.  I brought it in the house to deforst and had two-three teaspoons of water that melted out of the fan.  I did increase my heat with a back up fan which seemed to help.  I'll watch my fan closer on a cold weather cook at a low and slow egg temperature.
  • insaneh
    insaneh Posts: 112
    Options

Kruegs said:

I have had the issue in similar temps.  My most recent cook was an overnight with temps in the single digits.  Per someone's request, on this most recent cook I positioned the fan so the blower unit was oriented upward (bottom hole where you can see the fan turning tipped to the side).  It worked.  It think this prevents the moisture from dripping down into the fan unit...or it was a fluke.  Give it try.

Makes sense. I'll give it a shot. Beyond that, I was considering building an enclosure to try to use some of the eggs external heat to help keep things warm. Vented properly of course.
    Thanks for all input folks!

Dead smack in the middle of NH
  • PA Dutch Egger
    Options
    I have had moisture build up in the fan also in 20 degrees or colder.