Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sell by date?

How many days can I safely hold a cryovaced packer brisket, in a refrigerator, past the sell by date?
Dave - Austin, TX

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited January 2014
    Well, if you want to enhance the tenderness leave it unopened for say a couple more weeks after the sell by date. That is called wet aging. If that turns you off then take it out of the package now start the process called dry aging. Let it age at least 28 days beyond the expiration date, then trim off the hard outer layer and egg and enjoy the best brisket you have ever had! OR if you want another way to keep SWMBO happy about you dry aging meat in the family refrig just ask me about UMAi Dry. BTW expiration dates are guidelines imposed by our wonderful gubberment! IMHO...Get the drift?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    @RRP thanks!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    If the meat came from the Excel company (Sam's Club, Walmart, Safeway), then it hung in a cooler for a minimum of 30 days before it was cryovaced.  and as RRP said, most cryovaced "stuff" can go a couple more weeks.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    It lists a "pack date" that's 7 days before the "sell by date". It's from Costco (Kirkland).
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I think Cen-Tex has held them for up to 6 weeks past w/o issue.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    onedbguru said:
    If the meat came from the Excel company (Sam's Club, Walmart, Safeway), then it hung in a cooler for a minimum of 30 days before it was cryovaced.  and as RRP said, most cryovaced "stuff" can go a couple more weeks.

I'm looking everywhere online for something to back that up and can't find it. If true, that'd be a plus for walmart meat. Got a link?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• I've went a couple weeks past on cryo brisket and it was just fine. Babyback ribs on the other hand developed a stink in the same amount of time so I threw them out.
    Gittin' there...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    I've went a couple weeks past on cryo brisket and it was just fine. Babyback ribs on the other hand developed a stink in the same amount of time so I threw them out.
    +1, I'm okay with beef past best-before date, but I'm careful with poultry and pork even a day or two before best-before.
    canuckland
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @RRP Ron... Totally agree it would cost the consumer upwards of 50%-80% more for an "aged" (wet or dry) cut of meat. Reason being is it takes room in a cooler to do this not to mention time and more importantly the cooler should be 34F-38F (no more than 41F). The high end restaurants I perform service for dry age their meat an average of 30-45days and this comes with a price to the consumer but, the cut of meat is far more tender and flavorful than something off the shelf. I haven't had the space to dry age. I have compared my 30day wet aged in cyrovac pkg compared to not aging and I did like the aged better. Try it and compare for yourself.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I've went a couple weeks past on cryo brisket and it was just fine. Babyback ribs on the other hand developed a stink in the same amount of time so I threw them out.
    Pork will often develop a sulphur smell in cryovac. I have heard it is from an inert gas that they use before sealing. A little time in air or a cold water rinse will take care of that. If the meat is bad nothing will fix it. I've had ribs in the fridge for many weeks without them going bad(I mean more than 4.33 weeks)

Steve 

Caledon, ON