Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rubs suggestion

Options
Hi everyone, as some of you know i'm from Belgium and not familiar with most of the brands of rubs that American people use, its also hard. To find them here so i searched a webshop here that sells them. http://www.bbqguru.be/webshop/sauce,-rub--and--more/p-1/ Could you be so kind to take a look at what they sell and give me some information on which ones are good (specially for baby backs and briskets) because i have no experience whatsoever with those brands and their flavors. I like sweet with a little bit of spicy ;-) thanks a lot in advance !
New to the Eggworld from Antwerpen - Belgium

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    A good selection there, but prices seem high.  What's the shipping like?

For rubs:  Oak Ridge, Simply Marvelous, Bad Byron's, Plowboys Yardbird

Sauces: Blues Hog (one each of Tennesse Red, Smoky Mountain, and Regular Blues Hog.

You will not be disappointed with that selection.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Brisket? Salt and pepper is all you need. Try it once and I doubt you will go back to using any rub.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    The Plowboys Yardbird is great!  Always a crowd pleaser.  Excellent on chicken and pork.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Azzardi
    Azzardi Posts: 56
    Options
    They ship in Belgium for a cost of 6.75 euro. I doubt i ll find any cheaper since they are almost all import :D or I ll have to find someone in the states that will send me a container lol
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Of the products listed at the site, there are a few I've used, and enjoyed. Bad Byron's Butt rub is good for most pork. Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce is one of my top favorites.

But everyone's taste is different. Most people swear by Bone Suckin' sauce.  I thought it was one of the most mediocre I've ever had.

I notice they are offering the line of rubs Dizzy Pig made for BGE. I haven't tried any of them, but I have 8 bottles of their other rubs, which have been standards in my kitchen since I started using them.

I'm coming to agree w. Griffin's position that brisket really only needs salt and pepper for spicing. But I consider the flavor of oak smoke to be equally necessary.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited January 2014
    Options

Here is a link to YouTube channel that will give you some good info on doing the rubs yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/BBQwithFranklin

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Azzardi
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys!

About the dizzy pig rubs for BGE, what do they cost in the States ? Here nearly 20 euro (27 dollar) for 1 flavour without shipping... Thats far from cheap i think!
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 321
    Options
    Try this one you can make yourself.  Plus the site has a lot more info

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • tybeelucy2
    Options
    The Dizzy rubs for BGE are $20 I think..... At least, maybe a little more. They are pretty expensive. There are some other BGE rubs (not Dizzy) around $13 USD. No idea ia out. shipping international
    LBGE- Atlanta, LBGE and SBGE- Ellijay, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I browsed the selection on the website you linked to, and below are my recs, based on what I have tried in the past. 

Rubs - 
    Oak Ridge (love these - my favorites right now)

Simply Marvelous (slightly sweeter than most rubs but with nice hints of apple, cherry, etc depending on which rub you get. I would buy one of each and have fun with them.

Plowboys - Yardbird has a nice kick to it as does The Jerk. Bovine Bold is also good.

Bad Byron's Butt Rub

The BGE rubs are made by Dizzy Pig, and similar to the Dizzy Pig line-up from what I understand, but with a BGE brand mark-up. For the money you would spend to get them, I would pick something else. 

Sauces-
    Big Bob Gibson's Habanero is good if you like sauce with a kick.

Kansas City Cow Town Night of the Living Dead - great sauce, a little sweeter but with some pleasant heat/spiciness

Bone Suckin Hot - tried a jar once and liked it too.

Blues Hog - they're all good! The blue sauce is on the sweeter side. Many folks mix the Red and Blue 50/50. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options

I would certainly get Uncle Kenny's rubs.  Good stuff!  Wish they also had his BBQ sauces.

I really like Blue's Hog sauce.

Use Oakridge BBQ rubs and have never been disappointed.

I tried Bad Byron's Butt Rub for the first time tonight on ribs. I am going to have to figure out how to not apply it.  Seem a little salty to my taste.

Shame they didn't have Dizzy Pig rubs. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Based on your preference for sweet with a little bit spicy, I'd recommend these for baby backs or any pork:
    -Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple
    -Oakridge Secret Weapon
    -Plowboys Yardbird

And these for Brisket:
    -Oakridge Black Ops
    -Plowboys Bovine Bold
    -Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    We're you ever able to find Don Marco's rubs? Made in Germany. Cost me about 30.00 USD to ship to Maryland. They are excellent.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I use Texas bbq rubs and really like butchers Butcher bbq honey rub. Also agree with Oakridge rubs being really good. Love the santa maria rub and black ops brsket.
  • Azzardi
    Options
    Wow to much good stuff overload lol :D Thanks guys! Much appreciated!
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    edited January 2014
    Options
    +1 on Oakridge BBQ rubs.
    Secret weapon is good on any pork or chicken , but really shines on ribs.
    There Santa Maria is my favorite beef rub.
    Black ops is really good on brisket , and any other beef.

+1 on Blues Hogs sauce.
    60/40 original to Tennessee red is awsome on ribs