Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nest Question??

Options
Hello All, My wife and I have been enjoying the EGG life since June. I've obsessively used this forum for many how to's, recipes, do's and dont's. We camp about 25 nights a year and recently purchased a new small to take with us. I've been debating on building some sort of "table crate" or getting a nest. My question, is it easy to take the egg in and out of a nest, would this put "wear" on the egg finish. I thought of transporting it in some sort of Rubbermaid container and then using the nest while camping. We will probably use the small for week night cooks as well, so it will be in and out of the nest quite frequently. Thanks!!!

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I would not think that taking it in an out of the nest would generate much more wear than travelling with it. It just sits in the nest, so, as long as you can pick it straight up, should not be a problem. (IMHO)...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited January 2014
    Options

imageHere's what works for me - it's called a Potlifter and costs about $30. It adjusts whether lifting a small or a large egg. With it I can lift my small out of my table by myself and then carry it like a duffle bag.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NCeggfan
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, ideas, and pics!!!
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    We camp quite frequently as well and are thinking about a mini egg.

Nceggfan, are you concerned about the jostling the Egg will get during transport?

RRP, where can you purchase the Potlifter? That looks like a great tool.
  • NCeggfan
    Options
    dihtn, I figure hopefully I can pad it enough to transport it safely. I am unfamiliar with how "tight" an egg fits into a nest, is it hard to pull it back out, and whether frequently removing it will wear on the coating. When we purchased our large I built a Naked Whiz table variant for it.
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    The EggCarten might be an option when production resumes..
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I take mine in and out of my nest. I throw the nest in back of my truck and sit the egg in back seat and strap it in with seatbelt. Never have had a problem.

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited January 2014
    Options
    dihtn said:
    It really is a nice product - even my little wife can help me carry our large with that! I bought mine at a garden center internet company, but I see even Amazon sells them now. I just tried to add the link but it won't let me. Just Google potlifter and the first to pop up is Amazon.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    When Scott Leweis eventuality gets back into Egg-Carten production, get one from him.  Great!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    RRP said:

dihtn said:

It really is a nice product - even my little wife can help me carry our large with that! I bought mine at a garden center internet company, but I see even Amazon sells them now. I just tried to add the link but it won't let me. Just Google potlifter and the first to pop up is Amazon.

</blockquote

Thanks.
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    Transporting your egg and taking it in and out of the nest is nonbig deal. There will be no harm done to the finish either. I take my 2 large and XL to competitions 12 or more times a year for the past 3 years and have had no scratches or worn finishes on any of them.
  • NCeggfan
    Options
    THANKS!! For everyones responses
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    My small egg fits pretty snugly in the nest, so it takes a little shimmying to get it out. I added thick washers at the 4 points where the upright legs of the nest bolt on to the horizontal pieces that suport the egg. Made it much easier to remove and replace the egg. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.