Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First rib cook on LBGE and new raised rack

Options
Bought a used LBGE off CL before Christmas (and sold my medium).  I've never cooked ribs but it didn't seem too complicated.  The three pack of St. louis style ribs from Costco wouldn't fit on one grate so I bought two charcoal grill grates and some stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers and made the elevated rack.  I also don't have a platesetter for the large but my sister gave me a Pampered Chef pizza stone several years ago I've never used.  First layer is the original egg grate on the fire ring, then two concrete pavers, foil covered pizza stone, four foil balls, then the first grate, and that's all topped off by the raised grid.

Made a rub and applied them to the ribs while the egg heated to 250.  I arranged the ribs on the racks and let them cook at 250 for 4.5 hours.  When i put the ribs on, I also tossed in a handful of hickory pellets.  After hour two, I swapped the top and bottom rack of ribs and also brushed on some apple/vinegar sauce.  I did this again at hour 3.  At hour 4 I brushed on some Bullseye BBQ sauce and took it all off at 4.5.  The taste is amazing and I would say it rivals what I've bought locally.

Sorry, no pics of ribs on rack but I decided to start some chicken thighs, too.

Comments

• CatWrangler
    Options
    Looks Yummy

next time, give Car Wash Mike's ribs a shot. Absolutely easy and turn out great every time

Grom Egger since Sept '11 My Egg Arsenal: Med BGE- Digi PartyQ- Mav ET73- Plate Setter- Stone- Ceramic Grill Works 2 tier- YuengLing-  Florida Panhandle
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Welcome aboard and gotta appreciate the "adapt and overcome" approach.  Enjoy the end results and in the long haul, the journey.  It looks eggcellent!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    You did great!
    Dave - Austin, TX