Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5Qt CI Dutch Oven. What should I cook on it first?

I have never cooked anything in a pot on my egg... been wanting a medium sized dutch so I could try some soups, chili etc... 

Looking for some ideas for my first cook?

Any thoughts...   

Comments

• If you have a ham bone with some meat left on it try cooking some pinto beans. Add some onion, spices of choice, 1 or 2 fresh jalapenos and let it rip. I add some brown sugar and chopped tomatoes as well. Some like to use cilantro but don't use a lot as it is strong.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Great looking Oven!

Don't forget to season, then how about some Beans!

I've only cooked stews, beans, soup in mine .. Looking for more ideas so be sure to pass them on. 

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Didn't fix mine on the Egg but I made some kickazz potato soup in my CI Dutch Oven a couple nights ago.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    +1 on Baked Beans. I like this recipe from the mothership:

Another winner is Clay's Pulled Beef:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Chilli

Garnerville, NY
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I'm breaking mine in with beef short ribs tomorrow.  Happy New Year!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Baked Potato soup ...I can give you the recipe. It's unbelievable.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Use Red Potatoes and leave the peelings on .... YUMMY!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Make certain that it is seasoned really well first.  Even new ones that claim to be seasoned can be improved by a high temp seasoning.  I recently seasoned a new Lodge 8 quart with legs on my gas grill at 500F for 3 hours with three separate coatings inside using Crisco. I sanded a little of casting roughness out first then turned it upside down in a gas grill coated liberally with Crisco and run about an hour; took it out just long enough to recoat and run again; repeated a third time and then let it cool in the grill.  Worked really well.
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Egret's chili is really good- I made it with with a smoked chuckie and dropped beans- one of the best chilli's I have had
    Greensboro, NC
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    some great suggestions....  like the idea of baked beand or pulled beef
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148

short ribs always a good choice too....  i have seen a few posts for pepper stout beef.  Not sure what that taste like because I have never heard of it until the forum. 

• Alphonse said:
    Make certain that it is seasoned really well first.  Even new ones that claim to be seasoned can be improved by a high temp seasoning.  I recently seasoned a new Lodge 8 quart with legs on my gas grill at 500F for 3 hours with three separate coatings inside using Crisco. I sanded a little of casting roughness out first then turned it upside down in a gas grill coated liberally with Crisco and run about an hour; took it out just long enough to recoat and run again; repeated a third time and then let it cool in the grill.  Worked really well.
    Ditto. Maybe start with a mega-load of bacon.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Bill Phillip’s Spicy Chili<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1 - pound lean ground beef

1 - white onion chopped fine or chopped in food processor

8 - cloves of garlic, minced

2 – (4 ounce) cans diced mild green chilies

1/3 cup – red chili powder

1.5 teaspoons – ground cumin

2 - (15 ounce) cans low-fat, reduced sodium beef broth

1/3 to ½ cup – dry vermouth (this is a must have for this recipe)

1 – (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes

1 – (15.5 ounce) can spicy chili beans

1.       Place a large pot over medium heat.  Add ground beef, onion, garlic, and green chilies.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until ground beef is no longer pink, about 8 minutes.

2.       Stir in chili powder and cumin; cook for another 2 minutes.

3.       Add beef broth, dry vermouth, tomatoes, and spicy chili beans; bring to a boil over high heat.

4.       Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 90 minutes.

To smoke: put the chili in a Dutch oven and simmer in the smoker for an hour.  Can use hickory, apple, or cherry.  I prefer the cherry but all are good.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    French fries.  Cooking with the DO full of oil, the first time, would be a great way to help season it up.

Just don't do it on the Egg.  
    ^#(^

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I've got a big pot of stew goin right now. Gotta eat before I get stewed.  <:-P

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.