Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Amaze N smoker - what size?

Alphonse
Alphonse Posts: 80
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have a LBGE.  Looking to use it as a cold smoker and want to buy an Amaze N smoker for some cold smoking.  

Which size should I buy?

I found the 5 x 8 on Amazon Prime.  Can also buy a 20# sack of apple wood pellets there as well. Means both in hand quickly at what I assume is a decent price.

Here's a photo of what the 5 by 8 model that Amazon sells.

Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 

Comments

• you got the right one. Order it !!
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710

I have that same one and it is perfect. 20# will keep you stocked forever..

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• +1 with the above.  Welcome to the club!  Its Amazen!
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Just did almonds with the very same A-maze-N smoker. Fired it up easily with the Looftlighter using hickory pellets. Almonds tucked away in the fridge for some unknown reason (don't argue with success). Can't wait to spice them up and eat them.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • I'm almost done eating  the 3 pound bags from Costco of pecans and almonds all were done with this little wonder. I used apple pellets and smoked the pecans for 4 hours and the almonds for 6
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Okay Friends - sold! Order placed for smoker and apple wood pellets. Thx for the confirmation and encouragement.
  • roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    You will love it. I have smoked almonds and cheese and the families wiped me out over the holidays. I am going to smoke almonds, pecans and walnuts this week. A good sweet sauce for your almonds is dark kayro syrup, honey and soy sauce, my family loves it when I make them.
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • just me and the wife. She ate a few. I had to eat all of them. About nuted out!!
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • I bought the 6X8. I tend to overkill. I figured if I wanted 10 hours of smoke, Im set. If I want less smoke I just use less dust.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I had not been interested in cold-smoking when I first got my Egg, but after reading Charcuterie over the holidays I'm getting ideas.  
    Can this thing burn/support a cold smoke within a Large?  The Amazon writeup didn't really tell me.  Or do I need to let it burn in my Small and duct the smoke into my Large?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Pellets are better than the dust 
    costco has bags of hickory pellets for twenty bucks at the one over by The Mall of Georgia
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • @Botch:  I use it in my large, no problem at all.  I have cold smoked cheese, nuts and bacon using the Amazen.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Botch said:
    I had not been interested in cold-smoking when I first got my Egg, but after reading Charcuterie over the holidays I'm getting ideas.  
    Can this thing burn/support a cold smoke within a Large?  The Amazon writeup didn't really tell me.  Or do I need to let it burn in my Small and duct the smoke into my Large?  

Botch said:
    If you could figure how to duct the smoke from your small to the bottom of your large I would do it that way. The amaze does put out a small amount of heat so daisy chaining the two eggs together would be the way
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Alphonse
    Alphonse Posts: 80
    edited December 2013
    Botch said:
    l did a bunch of research on them before I opened up the thread here.  There are folks using them in a myriad of grills and they are reported to work well.  I am sure I will have to tinker with the vents to find out where the sweet spots are but I plan to use the Large or some other grills I have depending on the circumstances at the time.

• Pellets are better than the dust 
    costco has bags of hickory pellets for twenty bucks at the one over by The Mall of Georgia
    Amazon has 20 pound bags of apple pellets for a little more than 23 bucks to your door if you are a prime member.   I recently did some Canadian Bacon and smoked it on the LBGE using apple chunks and now an apple fan.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    The A-Maze-N smoker worked great in my XL. Placed it on the fire grate, and put the nuts in a rack on the grid at the gasket line. The heat never registered on the dome thermometer. I had the bottom vent wide open and no top vent.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    @ laserdoc85 Here's my small to large set up.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Do they make one that will fit in a Medium Egg? If so, what size should I order?

• Looks like a great setup. I use a Bradley when I cold smoke and have the cold smoker adaptor. I just stick that amaze smoker in the little box and light it. It is the way to go if you only have these two smokers and not two eggs
    Jefferson .GA.