Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt: turbo vs low and slow

I have a 7lb butt to do for NY day. I usually do low/slow but am thinking of trying turbo. I have read that most seem to think there is no diff in the outcome? Why do we low/slow then? 

If I do choose turbo, do I shoot for 350 dome till IT 200ish? What is the approx cooking time so I will know how to plan the other items?

Thanks and Happy Near Years!!!
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I notice a bit better bark with low and slow. I would think that it is negligible to most. I go 350 until done, never foiling. It takes about an hour per pound.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    x2 to what eggcelsior said... did my first turbo yesterday and not sure I will go back to an overnight cook unless needed.  kept it at treefitty and pulled at 200.  foiled for about 4 hours and it was perfect.  was around a 6 hour cook and didn't foil during.
  • CORRECTION: Whoops-I defrosted the 3.74 lb butt
    Rome, GA
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited December 2013
    Ok thanks,I'll shoot for around 4 hrs turbo 350...That means i'll start it Weds a.m. around 7. That way I can compare the 2 methods and decide which one works best for me.

Just rubbed it down with honey balsamic dijon mustard that needed to be used and John Henry's apple rub that also needed to be used. Should be good! BTW..I know the mustard won't offer any flavor.
    Rome, GA
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    One thing you may want to take into account is the amount of sugar in your rub when doing a turbo.  I did a turbo using Chris Lilly's rub that had about 3/4 cup of combined sugar (white and brown) and the bark seemed to burn a bit.  Crispy isn't bad, but it did have a bit of a burnt taste to it.  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I have a 7lb butt to do for NY day. I usually do low/slow but am thinking of trying turbo. I have read that most seem to think there is no diff in the outcome? Why do we low/slow then? 

If I do choose turbo, do I shoot for 350 dome till IT 200ish? What is the approx cooking time so I will know how to plan the other items?

Thanks and Happy Near Years!!!
    For MOST you can drink more in low & slow......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The rule of thumb with low and slow is exactly what @Mickey stated. You tell everyone that it is INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT to cook low and slow so you must tend to the Egg. Instead, you chill out and drink. Or whatever. 
  • (Note to self - do NOT let my wife see this thread, else she will catch on and keep me from enjoying more adult beverages in close proximity to my egg and make me turbo everything)
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    Related to the adult supervisory beverage fueled low&slow cook is the SWMBO eggscape time.  Can't put a value on that...Happy New Year!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I did 8 pork butts for holiday work parties this year - 4 rounds of 2 butts. I can vouch for the turbo method.

Last year, I did a butt for one party and it took 17 hours low and slow. This year, ~6 hours at 350-360 on the DigiQ. Much better. I could fire up the egg at 3:30AM, get it up to temp, put the butts on by 4:30, and they were done in plenty of time for a noon party. They did fine FTC. I also agree that the bark is not as good, a little tougher, and I would minimize sugar in the rub. FYI, I took them to 195, 200, 205 and 205 was best. Fell apart.
  • Ahhhhh, FABULOUS!!! I have some wine that needs a great bit of attention....I like ya'lls' thinking  ;)
    Rome, GA
  • I like low and slow pork butt a lot better. I think the fat is better able to render out of the meat.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I like low and slow better also though I never do anything under 8lbs. I think turbo might  be fine for the smaller butts.