Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Turkey Question

Options
Hi guys I'm doing the Christmas Turkey on the egg for the first time - am all ready and will be going for a 350 deg cook to temp. Have one question - would you put something (liquid) in the drip pan? if so, what? Thanks!

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options

I'll be doing mine tomorrow as well at 350 deg,when I did a trial run a few weeks back I didn't get much browning at 325 so im going a little hotter this time. As for the liquid I was going to use a little broth in the pan along with carrot,cerery amd onion because last time my drippings were burnt even though the drip pan was elevated off the stone by about a inch.

Turkey is air dring as we speak in the fridge....post a pic if you get time when its done!!

Merry Christmas.

Jamie.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I cook direct 400 raised and no pan, no liquid.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CANMAN1976
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I cook direct 400 raised and no pan, no liquid.

Not spatching the bird this time and stuffing is a must for me....so indirect it gotta be!!

• CANMAN1976
    Options
    balliardi said:
    Hi guys I'm doing the Christmas Turkey on the egg for the first time - am all ready and will be going for a 350 deg cook to temp. Have one question - would you put something (liquid) in the drip pan? if so, what? Thanks!

Using any smoking wood for your turkey balliardi???

• balliardi
    Options
    Have got mine brining at the moment, plan to take it out in the morning for a couple of hours before it goes on the egg. Will try to post a pic.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    @CANMAN1976-you may want to consider doing the "stuffing" as a "dressing" on the side-trying to get the stuffing cooked w/o over-cooking the bird is a challenge I gave up on 30+ years ago-yup, I have accumulated many laps of the Sun.  FWIW. I will put aromatics in the bird cavity for flavor but that's the extent.  YMMV- Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • balliardi
    Options
    Agree with Lou on the stuffing. I'll be putting a couple of halves of lemon inside mine and nothing else
  • canman
    canman Posts: 52
    Options
    I liquid brine mine at least overnight. I use 250 deg indirect (30-40 min/#) for duration to 160 at the breast, then cover and let rest 30 minutes.
    Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • Scottfaedivit
    Options
    What wood would you recommend for smoke indirect?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    If you have cherry then that's my wood of choice-more for the deep reddish brown skin color than anything else.  Any fruit wood will be fine but not too much as poultry will absorb a lot more than you likely eggspect.  So, for a 12-18# turkey I would go with no more than two normal sized chunks or around two-three good hand fulls of chips. YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CANMAN1976
    Options

canman said:
    I liquid brine mine at least overnight. I use 250 deg indirect (30-40 min/#) for duration to 160 at the breast, then cover and let rest 30 minutes.
    Hey cool name there canman!!!

• CANMAN1976
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @CANMAN1976-you may want to consider doing the "stuffing" as a "dressing" on the side-trying to get the stuffing cooked w/o over-cooking the bird is a challenge I gave up on 30+ years ago-yup, I have accumulated many laps of the Sun.  FWIW. I will put aromatics in the bird cavity for flavor but that's the extent.  YMMV- Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth :)>-
    I was wondering about this also but I did it in my last bird l and it was fine...nobody died of food poisoning or anything.Maybe I got lucky? What temp should stuffing reach anyways??

• lousubcap
    Options
    @CANMAN176- I have always heard that the stuffing should get to around 165*F at a minimum.  Of course, when I quit messing with it, that temp was a crap-shoot with a very slow analog thermo. No doubt you can dial it it much more precise.  If it worked the last time  would not get off a winner.  YMMV-Merry Christmas!